Filter results sometimes differ for no apparent reason

DeniseThompson397 August 1, 2014

I've noticed the results from Filters can sometimes vary for no apparent reason within a minute or 2 of refresing the filter. Nothing has changed in the data to cause the differing results. For example, I ran a filter to return issues using certain criteria and one minute I got 88 records and a few minutes later I got 84. Nothing had changed in the data. I have noticed this a couple of times. What would cause this? I am pressing F5 and the search button to make sure I am getting the latest data.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2014

Start with a look at the filter - what is the definitiion, are there things in there that might vary?

Next, read the log file for errors while you're doing this. Whatever is causing this, it's likely to be index related, so we're looking for errors in that area.

DeniseThompson397 August 2, 2014

Hi, No there were no things in the filter definition that would cause a variation in no. of records returned because I did cross checking on the data. Obviously I do have filters that vary, I'm only referring to the ones where the data should have been static for my filter.

How do you look at a log file? I have a feeling I won't have access to that. We don't have administrators of this system and that's basically why I try to get information from this forum. Jira has been implemented but there is minimal support and I am not usually able to get answers to questions from help desk staff.

It does look to me like an indexing issue or perhaps some sort of caching.

The other thing I did, which revealed interesting results: I created a bookmark in IE8 which links to a URL which was the URL that is generated when you export a filter. So I copied the whole URL, because when you hover over the Export command in Jira it produces a URL, into the bookmark. When I click on the bookmark it just pops up with the "save" popup box and I just select to write over a file that exists. That also doesn't pick up the latest refreshed data but I would have expected that anyway. I'm not sure how it works but that's what happens.

Suggest an answer