Email Notifications are not being recieved when task is assigned

matthew chapman November 7, 2012

Good Morning,

When I set up a task in JIRA and assign it to someone, they are not recieving the assigned notification via email. Even when I assign it to myself, I am not recieveing the task.

Can receive shared task via email. Can someone explain why. I do have the notification scheme set up for all users to see or receive all alerts.

Thank you

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2012

Check your profile - do you have "email me on my own changes" turned off?

You mention specifically the "assign" process - could you tell us how you are assigning here? I mean by changing assignee during a transition, via an edit, via the "assign" link, or in greenhopper?

matthew chapman November 7, 2012

Create issue --> Assignee drop down box --> choose assignee. Then close ticket. Sometimes I assign users during transition or via edit. Either way it should work right? I am Jira admin and even my account is not getting task assignments.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2012

Ok, that's the "create" transition, not the assignee. So, the next questions:

Does your "create" transition fire the "issue created" event?

Who does your notification scheme say to mail on "issue created"?

Did you check your "email me" settings?

(Forget the admin thing, it doesn't do anything different from any other group/role, unless you specifically configure it to do so)

matthew chapman November 8, 2012
Issue Updated (System)
Issue Assigned (System)
Issue Resolved (System)
Issue Closed (System)
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2015

What's the difference between editing the Assignee field and pressing the Assign button? Do they both throw the Issue Assigned event? The button seems to add the new Assignee to the Watchers list.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2015

There's four ways to change the assignee: - Assign (to me) button(s) - changes just the assignee, fires an "assign issue" event - Click the field in the view to edit it - as above - Edit the issue - because other fields are changing, this fires an "issue updated" event - Change during a transition - needs to fire the transition event

0 votes
matthew chapman November 8, 2012

I have figured it out with the help of all of you guys. I had to change who the emails were going to (project roles --> group accounts [admin, dev, user). Once I changed it. I was recieving emails.

Thank you all

0 votes
Johny rao November 7, 2012

Hi Matthew,

Could you please check whether the mail server is properly configured?Also, does the issue create step has proper event configured in the post function.(Please check your workflow transition to see about post functions)

Thanks,

Anshul

Suggest an answer