Edit multiple issues without Bulk Change

Ramon Radnoci April 11, 2017

We have a custom field "Team" to assign tickets to specific teams. 

Now we wan't be able to start a planning session from the project components view. The components here are "project wide" and we wan't to select a specific component say "Web", pick a couple of issues and set the Team-field . 

The only way I've seen (if no plugin solves it) is to go through Tools | Bulk Change, but that is way to cumbersome. Since it involves a couple of steps and is clearly not created for being used this way. 

So, is it possible to set a custom field for multiple issues at once in a much faster way? 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2017

No, that is exactly what bulk-edit is for - making mass changes to selected sets of issues.  It is generalised to allow you to use it for many cases, not just a simple static case like the one you've described.

Ramon Radnoci April 11, 2017

It's true that it is for doing bulk edit's, but it is time consuming to going through each step when we only need to set the value of one field. 

Also, when I choose "Edit issue", a lot of fields are shown instead of just the customer field "Team". Not configurable as I have seen. 

Bulk edit as it is today is great for updating a bunch of tickets rarely, but it is not so handy and usable when it will be done often. 

Imagine if it was possible to select multiple tickets, press "e" that show a custom screen with only the field I'm interested in and that's it. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2018

But there's no way you can get the information you need in enough bulk to make that useful.  If you've got to a point where you need to do this (which is entirely possible), then you've gone a long way down the road of "making data unusable".  At a guess, I'd say there's a lot of people coming from a Remedy or ClearQuest background in your organisation.

This is not something you want to implement in software, this is something you want to take back to your processes so you can fix them.

Suggest an answer