Disable "Log work" on EPIC

Eitan Mizrahi July 17, 2017

Hello,

I use EPICs for grouping tasks/stories (like a generic integration to a specific customer of mine) and I don't want used them otherwise (for log work). The works are logged on tasks or on stories.

Can I disable "log work" just for EPICs?

Thanks.

2 answers

7 votes
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2017

Hi Eitan,

You may prevent users from logging time in Epics by following these steps:

1. Set Epics to use a different workflow in your project(s). You may need to create a new workflow. A workflow with just To Do, In Progress and Done statuses would be more than enough for Epics.
  2. Edit the workflow, click on the status To Do, and then on the Properties link displayed on the right.

properties.jpg
    Add the property jira.permission.work.denied with no value.

add-property.jpg

Repeat step 2 for each of the remaining statuses in the workflow (in the above example, In Progress and Done).
  3. Publish your workflow changes.

After applying this property, users will see an error on trying to log work on an Epic, preventing them from recording worklogs in Epics.

Hope it helps.

Jackson Mendes June 9, 2019

Great Ignacio!

Like Ignacio Pulgar likes this
Přemysl Václavík August 1, 2019

Thank you Ignacio! This is a real help. Do you know where can I learn more about available properties like this one ?

Like # people like this
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2019

Sure! There's a good article about workflow properties here:

https://www.j-tricks.com/tutorials/permissions-based-on-workflow-status

Like # people like this
Bram V September 30, 2020

Nice one!

One small addition, according to Atlassian, property value should be "denied" . But I noticed that it also works with an empty value.

More information can be found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-restrict-log-work-on-a-specific-status-834225982.html  

Prasad Bharadwaj April 28, 2022

should this control be applied to every project manually or you have any global settings? 

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 17, 2017

Eitan,

I think that this cannot be done out of the box.

You can try with an listener, capturing the work logged on issue events and delete them, but this is counterintuitive for the end user and one thing more to maintain and check.

Maybe the best solution is user education and to exclude the epics from the queries / reports you use for time tracking.

Eitan Mizrahi July 20, 2017

I have heard that workflow may solve that, but I don't know how.

Seen on: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-questions/Prevent-users-from-logging-time-under-Epic/qaq-p/181423?posted=612486#U612486

As the link - I didn't understand how to link a workflow to an epic (It just create a new workflow).

Suggest an answer