Creating custom charts / reporting for Jira

Tim McGee April 27, 2017

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to create some custom charts based on filters I've created in Jira. Things such as customer reported bugs, ect. but the built in charts don't cover all my needs. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started? I've found a few tutorials, but they don't give a solid starting point and leave me with a few questions. (https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/guides/dashboards/tutorial-writing-gadgets-for-jira This Tutorial). 

My questions are: Where do I enter the commands it asks me to enter? Is that server side of my jira instance? Am I able to do that without admin privileges? (I'm only QA at my company and don't have admin access). Can I create a google gadget and easily plug it into my jira instance, and use that reporting on a dashboard I've created? Any good tutorials that someone could point me to?

I'm sorry for the overload of questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks everyone!

2 answers

0 votes
Tiago Machado
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2019

Hi,

I think you are looking for a new dashboard, where you have quite some already available gadgets that you pass your filters and they draw the chart or graphic for you.

Hope it helps...

0 votes
Paul Stallworth
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2019

Hi Tim

The tutorial assumes that you know the following:

1. The basics of Java development, such as classes, interfaces, methods, and so on.
  2. How to create an Atlassian plugin project using the Atlassian Plugin SDK.

Creating your own gadget or plugin involves writing code (typically Java) using the Atlassian Software Development Kit to hook into Jira.  You'll also want to have a workstation where you can build Jira from source and run it locally to test with (otherwise even if you have a test Jira instance you'll be transferring files back and forth to the server, restarting the service, etc., which is annoying after the 3rd time).  Setting up your development environment is covered in this[1] tutorial.  Once you have built and tested the gadget, you will probably need your Jira system administrator to install it in the instance so that it's available for use.  

[1] https://developer.atlassian.com/server/framework/atlassian-sdk/set-up-the-atlassian-plugin-sdk-and-build-a-project/

Good luck!

Suggest an answer