Copy project

Scott Reed April 29, 2012

Hi,

My projects generally start of the same way with the same fundamental tasks in the beginning. Therefore I would now like to take a copy of a project "C/O Hotels BPC Implementation" and create a copy to a new project which I would then use in the future. All the tasks should be copied over one-to-one. It's a template.

Is this something you can help me with?

Regards,

Scott

5 answers

2 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2012

JIRA Command Line Interface cloneProject action. For onDemand, you will need to avoid using --cloneIssues parameter as issues cannot be cloned to another project without using the JIRA Clone-Plus plugin (not available with OnDemand). Instead just use the createIssue action.

Actually, I would recommend ditching the template project all together and going directly to a CLI script that creates the project and populates issues. Just create a file with all the actions you need and use the run action to run the "template" script with a couple of substitution variables (findReplace parameter) for the project key and name.

2 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2012

You can try the script runner plugin, it has a built-in script for this: https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/GRV/Built-In+Scripts#Built-InScripts-CopyProject.

Scott Reed April 29, 2012

Ok, thank you very much, Jamie. Could you tell me how to implement script runner?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 29, 2012
Jim Castillo April 30, 2012

Anyway to do this for OnDemand?

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 30, 2012
TJ Baker August 22, 2013

@James, there only workarounds, hoops to jump through, or more products to buy if you want to simply copy a project in OnDemand.

It's really disapointing that this base feature is missing, when it's available in many SaaS PM solutions today.

TJ Baker January 13, 2014

@jamiedo you plan to port this to be used in Atlasian's add-ons infrastruture for On Demand?

We'd pay for such an add-on for On Demand!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2014

Not really... the remote APIs aren't sufficient to copy the project to the level of detail that you get in the standard version of this plugin. I keep my eyes on developments in that space though.

TJ Baker January 19, 2014

Thanks for the reply.

I sure hope that there is some way to easily clone / copy projects in On Demand soon.

1 vote
David Lockie August 10, 2014

+1 for copy/clone projects/issues - surprised it's not available already

1 vote
TJ Baker August 22, 2013

A feature request has been created for this, please vote for it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AOD-6722

Suggest an answer