Copy a parent's custom field into a subtask field on subtask creation

All my Issues, stories, subtasks, etc., have a custom field. It is a dropdown listing all the JIRA projects.

When I create a subtask I would like to copy the parent field's contents into the same field in the subtask.

The built-in transition post function won't do this. Atlassian confirmed that it will not work with custom fields.

Does anyone know of a plugin that can provide this ability?

5 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Thanks all.

I have, for now, abandoned the attempt to copy the parent's custom field value to the subtask on creation of the subtask. The reason I wanted to do that was to allow the subtasks to show up on the scrum board.

So the real problem was the query for the board. I was trying to fill the field in an attempt to get around that.

Instead, I was pointed to this plugin:

Craftforge JQL Functions Plugin

It allows me to create a more sophisticated query for my boards and avoids the field problem.

It's really a good idea you have abandoned copyng the values - in my experience it has been difficult to keep them consistent between issues.

The Field Teller plugin provides a configurable panel that displays values obtained directly from the parent. Hope it helps you in some other scenario.

Sorry for stupid qustions, but where can I find JMWE extensions after installing? I see nothing is changed.

Andreas Knecht Community Champion Nov 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to configure way to keep fields for parents and sub-tasks in sync using Automation for JIRA!

You can easily modify related issues (such as parents, stories, sub-tasks, epics, linked issues and even JQL) using our related issues action and condition:

(this example updates the description, but pretty much any field can be edited. You can also copy values from parent to sub-task or sub-task to parent)

For more details see https://blog.codebarrel.io/synchronize-parent-and-sub-task-issues-with-automation-for-jira-bdcca6c9d453

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Thursday in United States

Local Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th

We're looking for participants for another workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sh...

78 views 0 0
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you