Copy a parent's custom field into a subtask field on subtask creation

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2013

All my Issues, stories, subtasks, etc., have a custom field. It is a dropdown listing all the JIRA projects.

When I create a subtask I would like to copy the parent field's contents into the same field in the subtask.

The built-in transition post function won't do this. Atlassian confirmed that it will not work with custom fields.

Does anyone know of a plugin that can provide this ability?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2013

Thanks all.

I have, for now, abandoned the attempt to copy the parent's custom field value to the subtask on creation of the subtask. The reason I wanted to do that was to allow the subtasks to show up on the scrum board.

So the real problem was the query for the board. I was trying to fill the field in an attempt to get around that.

Instead, I was pointed to this plugin:

Craftforge JQL Functions Plugin

It allows me to create a more sophisticated query for my boards and avoids the field problem.

Caner Arda December 15, 2016

It's really a good idea you have abandoned copyng the values - in my experience it has been difficult to keep them consistent between issues.

The Field Teller plugin provides a configurable panel that displays values obtained directly from the parent. Hope it helps you in some other scenario.

1 vote
andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2016

There's now a very easy to configure way to keep fields for parents and sub-tasks in sync using Automation for JIRA!

You can easily modify related issues (such as parents, stories, sub-tasks, epics, linked issues and even JQL) using our related issues action and condition:

(this example updates the description, but pretty much any field can be edited. You can also copy values from parent to sub-task or sub-task to parent)

For more details see https://blog.codebarrel.io/synchronize-parent-and-sub-task-issues-with-automation-for-jira-bdcca6c9d453

Emily Fuller April 28, 2020

I have quite a lot of custom fields in my parent issue from the service desk form. Is it possible for the sub task to be created and all of the fields are copied from the parent task using automation for Jira. 

Like christyh likes this
1 vote
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013
0 votes
Alexander Shalin August 24, 2014

Sorry for stupid qustions, but where can I find JMWE extensions after installing? I see nothing is changed.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2013
Ayan Saqib November 7, 2021

can you open spread sheet

Suggest an answer