Conditional transition in a workflow on JIRA

helena bonneville August 26, 2012

Hi!

How do you set transitions so that choosing a value for a field among a list is mandatory to move from a step to another?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2012

Hi, you can use the JIRA Suite Utilities plugin to set required fields for transitions - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/5048

If you need the red asterisks on the transition screens, you'll need to also use the Behaviour's Plugin - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.plugin.Behaviours

In JIRA Suite Utilities you can set workflow validator to require the fields you need. In the Behaviour's plugin you can create a behaviour for your project and get it to validate from the JIRA Suite Utilities.

0 votes
helena bonneville August 26, 2012

Thank you very much! I'll try this =)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2012

You have two options, both done in the workflow.

A "condition" will prevent a transition even appearing unless the issue matches certain conditions. This might not be helpful as the transition will literally disappear completely, so your user won't know what to fill in.

A "validator" will check the entry of information on an issue as a user tries to transition, and reject it if it doesn't match.

Problem - there's no "field must be filled in" validator built into Jira, so you'll need to find or write a plugin to provide it. There are loads of these though - I use the one in the "Jira suite utilities" myself, but I highly recommend a look through the marketplace for other plugins that do it as you might find one that works better for you (the JSU one just demands that the user fills in one or many fields)

Suggest an answer