CMMI Level 2

Prasanna Ujjani Mutt July 26, 2013

Hi all,

We have with us Jira, and some plugins, like Bamboo, greenhopper, crucible (fisheye), Tempo, icTime, logwork. We have been using it for a while.

We are also in the process of achieving CMMI Level 2. We wanted to know, how best can we utilze Jira for CMMI artifacts. I searched, for some white paper or some links which could give us some insight to this topic.

Could anyone share some guidelines in this regards.

The Level 2 process areas are, Requirement Management, Project planning , Project monitoring and control, Configuration management, measurement and analysis, process & Product quality, Supplier aggreement & Management.

Like for instance, how do we mange change management in Jira, How to address measurement and analysis specific practices and goals

2 answers

0 votes
Santosh Vutukuri September 13, 2015

Hi Prasanna, I am sure JIRA has loads of features that can be explored for being compliance to multiple best practices of CMMI. I have an enough experience in working with CMMI from Level 2 to 5. Please let me know what exactly is your problem statement so that I can help you and help myself as well. Please reach me at vutukuri.santosh309@gmail.com My linked In profile is https://in.linkedin.com/in/vsantosh4u

0 votes
Adrien Ragot 2
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2014

Hi Prasanna,

I'm not a CMMi expert but I've worked in companies which implement it. First I'd like to underline a worldwide trend to shift from CMMi to Agile methodologies; For example two of the major IT service companies in France don't invest in CMMi anymore since 2 years. I understand this is not the answer you're looking for.

For that reason, you probably won't find comprehensive guides on how to implement CMMi in JIRA/Confluence/Stash. Those products easily allow full traceability from requirements to delivery: Write requirements in Confluence, plan iterations with JIRA Agile, manage change with JIRA, trace the source code in Stash, ensure repeatable quality with Bamboo builds... Upstream planning activities (with massive concepts such as capability planning, program and portfolio management) are less covered. Process management is rather considered as overwhelming paperwork and Confluence's "Retrospectives" activities only cover parts of this concept.

• Requirement Management: There is the Product Requirement Blueprint. You can go deeper - Have a look at How to Manage Requirements in JIRA and Confluence.
  • Project planning: It depends which methodology you use. If you use Agile/Scrum, then JIRA Agile provides RapidBoards which are an incredibly good way of planning and tracking iterations. If you use waterfall methodologies, you'll probably want a lot of Gantt diagrams, which Gantt-Chart is good at.
  • Configuration management: This is wholly managed in Atlassian Stash. Stash is the best tool on the market for the underlying "Git" source control, and Git is the best tool we've seen in the last 25 years for source control.
  • Measurement and analysis: Already covered in JIRA Agile with burn-down charts. If you're looking for a tool to manage numbers, have a look at Play SQL Spreadsheets.
  • Project monitoring and control, Process & Product quality: Not explicitly covered by Atlassian products, but you could set up your own tracking using Atlassian Confluence.
  • Supplier agreement & Management: Not explicitly covered by Atlassian products.

In any case we hope you can post feedback after you implement your solution.

Suggest an answer