Automating ticket creation for projects that require a component?

I would like to fully automate ticket creation for a program I am running within my organization. I am using the JIRA api to do this, but I'm running into problems with projects that require a component. It seems there is no way way to choose a default component or override the component requirement via api, so my program fails to create tickets for these projects. This is currently a blocker for the program, since it requires full automation. Any thought on how to work around this?

2 answers

0 votes

Use a component named "Needs Triage" is one way.

Or name the component "Created automatically"

Components are generally used for auto assigning issues to the right person. But there isn't a way to specify one component as the default.

0 votes
Steven Behnke Community Champion May 08, 2017

Well, you'll need to handle requirements per project. If a project has fields marked as required, you must provide them otherwise the call will fail.

You can use the createMeta endpoint to discover what fields are required. (Developer article: https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-apis/jira-rest-apis/jira-rest-api-tutorials/jira-rest-api-example-discovering-meta-data-for-creating-issues) 

You can use the getProjectComponents endpoint to discover what options there are in a specific project. (API article: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/server/#api/2/project-getProjectComponents)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Featured Groups

Tuesday tips & tricks: What is the Atlassian Community?

It's officially Tuesday, which means it's officially time for another tip to help you better navigate this space we call the Atlassian Community. 😄 I got a great question from community member, Sa...

133 views 6 8
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you