Automatically move milestone or due date

Nathalie Bergeron March 8, 2012

Hi Everyone,

I have recently started to use Jira On-Demand.

-Let's say I have two issues with an estimate of 4 days of work
-The due date and/or next milestone is 4 days from now.
-Issue #1 is now in progress and therefore should be completed within the deadline.
-Issue #2 will not be completed on time.
-The engineer is working on a new issue #3 that is blocking issue #2 and will require one day of work.

What is the best way in JIRA to automatically change the milestone or due date based on the bug status & estimates? For example, if my milestone or due date is on March 7th and we still needs 3 days of engineering work, it should be pushed to March 10th. Also, is there a way to automatically integrate the new "blocker" bug into the current milestone?

Support told me that there is no way at this time to create a new bug or tasks from an e-mail. (e.g. The engineer is logging issue #3 by sending an email that will automatically populate JIRA with the appropriate fields) Does anyone have recommendations to go around this current limitation?

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

Nathalie

2 answers

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2012

For the first part there is actually no OOTB solution. You need to do this with a plugin or could achieve this with a jelly service.

For the second part (for handling issues via email) it is very much possible in Jira. You can use the basic form with the builtin functionality http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

More extended email handling procedure at https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/wiki/display/JEMH/JIRA+Extendable+Mail+Handler

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2012

I overlooked the fact that you were on OnDemand :(

ChrisA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2012

JIRA OnDemand now creates from external mailboxes as well, so this is no longer an issue.

0 votes
Nathalie Bergeron March 8, 2012

Hello Renjith,

Thanks for the prompt answer. It's very appreciated!

I received this additinal info from Support this morning:

(Moving Milestone automatically)

I spoke with the JIRA support team a bit more about your first question and confirmed that this isn't possible in the stock JIRA nor would it be possible in OnDemand JIRA. If you download the standalone version of JIRA, you may be able to achieve this with a 3rd party plugin or two, but it wouldn't be supported by Atlassian.

(Bug creation via email)

At the moment, OnDemand doesn't support creating issues from email. Check out [the restricted features doc|http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/Restricted+Functions+in+Atlassian+OnDemand] for more information on what is currently not supported.

Hopefully the JIRA team could see the benefits of moving milestones automatically, as well as creating bugs from emails!

I think it's unfortunate that OnDemand product does not match the email or plugins functionality of the standalone JIRA.

Cheers,

Nathalie

ChrisA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 30, 2012

This has now been fixed - JIRA OnDemand can create issues from external mailboxes now :)

rmk August 30, 2012

I just wanted to let you all know that we now support issue creation via email in JIRA OnDemand.

Cheers,
Roy

Suggest an answer