Associating sub-tasks with stories imported from CSV

Spencer Rice December 8, 2011

Not able to associate new subtasks with new stories during import of CSV file.

Following the documentation instructions from here

"Firstly create a column for every 'Issue Id'(it can be any unique string), then create a second column for the 'Parent Id'. To import sub-tasks reference the Issue Id in the Parent Id column."

I have a sample CSV file with the following columns

Issue Id	Parent Id	Summary		Issue Type
1						Test		Story
2			1			ST For Test	Technical task
3			1			ST For Test	Technical task

When I import it successfully imports the story and two technical tasks, but does not create an association between them despite having the Issue Id for the Parent in the Parent Id column of each sub-task.

Is there something obvious that I am doing wrong? To be clear I am not attemptint to associate subtasks to existing Stories, only new ones that are being imported at the same time.

3 answers

1 vote
Ofer Prat July 15, 2014

In Jira 6.0.2 this import is working for me.

I used CSV (borrowing from the example above):

Issue Id,Parent Id,Summary,Issue Type
1, , Test, Story
2, 1,ST For Test, Sub-Task
3, 1,ST For Test, Sub-Task
When you map the fields:
Issue ID -> Issue ID (sub-task field)
Parent ID -> Parent ID (sub-task field)
Summary -> Summary (issue field)
Issue Type -> Issue Type (issue field)
Note that you cannot reuse the same Issue ID and Parent ID again in the same project.

0 votes
Michael Danielsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2011

When looking into my JIRA installation I found that it uses version 2.3.1 of the JIRA Importers Plugin.

There is an issue (https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/JIM-230) registered on this plugin and it is solved in version 2.5.

How do I update the plugin?

0 votes
Michael Danielsson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 26, 2011

I have the same problem and I'm using JIRA 4.3.3.

Does anybody know how to solve this?

Suggest an answer