'Assign the issue to the default user from role' transition not working

Zacharias J. Beckman July 12, 2012

I have a workflow in which the 'Assign the issue to the default user from role' post function is used. The function should be triggered whenever an issue moves into Resolved status, as shown in this screenshot:

!scn-1.jpg|thumbnail!

As you can see from this screen, there is a default user in the specified role (and, I am looking at the role _for this specific project_, so I know that is correct):

!scn-2.jpg|thumbnail|

So, I then take an issue (in the right project, and the right workflow status), and mark it resolved...

!scn-3.jpg|thumbnail|

But after I resolve it, the issue is still assigned to me. It should be assigned to the default user in the Quality Assurance role... which is Amardeep, not me.

!scn-4.jpg|thumbnail|

4 answers

0 votes
Dan Lohaus January 3, 2013

I am sorry I haven't reported back that I resolved my issue. I told myself to RTMF! I hadn't. If you read the manual associated with this post function, you would find, like I did, that you must set a User Property called defaultAssignee with a value that indicates the project and role within that project in the following format without the quoutes: "Project->Role".

For example, UserA needs to be the defaultAssignee for the QA role within the XYZ project. An administrator will need to add a property to User A. Goto the Users menu and Select the Users suboption. Find UserA and clisk on the username. Under the details, select Edit Properties. Enter defaultAssignee as the key and for the value enter XYZ->QA and click the Add. If a user needs to be a defaultAssignee for different projects and roles, comma separate the value combinations.

Christopher Emerson September 12, 2017

Are all these comments referring to the JIRA addon "JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions" or referring to native JIRA (cloud) mechanics? I'm in a similar situation (need some "status-driven role assignment" workflow help and am really struggling to find how to deal with out of the box. 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions/cloud/overview

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2012
i think this transition came with workflow extensions or suite tools. both are yet until jira 5.1.8 ondemand is 5.2 right? i am facing problems with some workflow extensions from those plugins too. relax. i think there will be an update for them
0 votes
Dan Lohaus November 14, 2012

Although I too cannot see the screenshots, this is similar to an issue I am having in our Standalone install.

This Post Function is provided by the JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions plugin, I believe, and after looking at their documentation, you must set User Properties for the user you want to be the 'defaultAssignee' for the appropriate Project Roles. I got that far by reading the documentation for the plugin but my problem is that eventhough I set these User Properties, it still doesn't trigger this Post Function.

I believe my problem is the issue has an Assignee and the Transition Screen provides the ability to change the Assignee. Since it displays the Assignee field, the field is defaulted to the current Assignee. During the Post Transition execution, I believe it looks to 'skip if one has been selected' and since it is populated with the current Assignee, it skips it. I have tested this by changing the Assignee field to Automatic (the Null User) and it then appears to function correctly.

I am currently trying to determine a way to 'default' the Assignee field to Automatic prior to the Transition Screen being display. From what I am reading, scripting my be my only choice.

If you have found another way, I would be anxious to know how you resolved it.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2012

Where have you inserted the post function in the list of other post functions? I.E., is it the first post function to be performed, the last, in the middle?

It is second in the default post functions list; in between 'set issue status' and 'add a comment'.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

I've had problems with post functions when they might be overwritten by other ones in the default list. Try moving the post function to be the last one, at the bottom of the list. It might be that it's firing before other functions that then overwrite the value that you were intending to give the field.

I'll try it but by placing it last, the change itself won't get preserved, right? The Post Function is attempting to 'Set the Assignee to a DefaultAssignee for a Role within a Project but Skip if one is selected'. If I move it to the end then it won't get 'stored' or 'reindexed' unless you are trying to tell me to put it right before those 2 Post Functions. If you are, then I currently only have one function in between my troublesome function and those 2 and it is the default Post Function that pertaining to the Change History.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 14, 2012

Yes, the change should still occur even if you put it last. I have quite a few functions in workflows that have to be put last in order to work properly, it's the functionaltiy of the plugin.

Angell April 1, 2013

You can set it to be last, but if you do it after a reindex, then your filters will not recognize the change and the ticket won't appear correct in your dashboard and search. I suggest that reindex always be the last post function step.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2012

Your screenshots appear to be broken (at least I don't see them).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events