Any possibility to filter failed JIRA issues?

Michael Zerfass January 1, 2012

Hi everybody,

is there any possibility to filter failed JIRA issues, means JIRA issues are ready for testing, but could not be closed because tests failed .

I have created following JQL:

project = xyz and fixVersion ="0.1" and (status = Assigned or status = Defined or Status = InWork or Status = CheckedIn) and status WAS in (Reviewed, Tested)

Means show me all issues with status = Assigned or status = Defined or status = InWork or status = CheckedIn and status = Reviewed/Tested in the past

The problem is, this query delivers only issues which are currently in status Assigned / Defined / Inwork / CheckedIn.
Some days / weeks later the issues may be already closed and never displayed in this filter any more.
So at the end of release I won't get this failed issues.

Is there any plugin or filter for that? The goal is to find out how many JIRA issues were set to failed during testing.

Thanks
Michael

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Zerfass January 8, 2012

I have solved this with following JQL Query:

status changed from "Reviewed" to "Defined" OR status changed from "Tested" to "Assigned"

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2012

It's not clear to me how you are identifying or defining issues as "failed"?

Michael Zerfass January 1, 2012

Failed issues means issues which were ready for testing.

Our JIRA issue workflow is as follows:

Defined -> Assigned -> InWork -> CheckedIn -> Reviewed -> Tested -> Closed

Lets make an example:

issue is in status "Reviewed", the next possible status is "Tested" (test successful) or status "Assigned" (test failed).

So, the idea is to find such failed issues later at the end of release (= issues set back to "Assigned")

I hope my description is good enough.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2012

So you filter for "was reviewed, now in assigned", as that defines a failure.

I think your definition of failure isn't quite right though. I think what you actually mean is "has been in reviewed, then went to assigned, and is now in any other status"

You can't search for transitions, and even if you could, you'll still pick up anything that ever fails, even after it's passed, so I'd do one of two things:

Fix1: Have a specific "failed" status in your workflow instead of going straight back to "assigned". That will let you use "was failed" in the way you are trying in your original posting

Fix2: Add a custom field which is a simple flag to say "this has failed at some point". Add a post-function that sets it as you go from "reviewed" to "Assigned" (and maybe others that clear it as you need to). Don't put the flag field on any "edit" screens, and you'll be able to search it. Better yet, use a numeric field and increase it every time it fails, then you'll know how many times the issue is failed...

Suggest an answer