Agile board: how to change report setting to include sub-tasks data?

Hi,

It seems that reports in Agile boards do not contain any sub-tasks. My Scrum team uses Story and Sub-tasks, and I would like to include data of Sub-tasks in the Sprint Report and burndown chart. Where can I change the setting?

Thanks,

Miki

5 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

It ofcourse uses the estimates from the sub-tasks. What is the option you have selected that you have done in the 'Estimation' tab while configuring the board?

Hi Renjith,

Thank you for your quick respond.

I selected:

Estimate Statistic -- Original Time Estimate

Time Trancking -- Remaining Estimate and Time Spent

Miki

Are you estimating the values at the story level as well? I just did a test based on a couple of stories and with sub-tasks with estimates and I am able to see the burndown summing up the sub-task estimates.

Which version of GH?

No, we don't estimate at story leve. We add estimation to sub-tasks only. We use story as a place holder.

GH version: Atlassian GreenHopper - 6.1-rc1

Sorry for my earlier question, missed the fact that you are OnDemand. Can you post a screenshot of the burndown and a couple of sub-tasks, if possible?

I attached a screenshot of last sprint.

As you see, it listed only Story as completed issues. No sub-tasks.

OMG, story points are not used for sub-tasks. It is conceptually wrong, AFAIK.

Story points is always with a 'Story'. If you want to track the burn down of sub-tasks, use the time tracking in board configuration.

So it goes like this, IMHO

• The story points are estimated at a story level for velocity and release planning
  • Sub-tasks are estimated by the team during sprint planning and the burndown monitored to check how they go with the sprint (again by the team, no managers involved :)
  • End of sprint, when the story is closed, the velocity will reflect the total of the story points.

I understand what story points are for. We are not using story points. I am not looking for getting velociy based in story points. I simply wanted to includ sub-tasks data in sprint release. I guess I cannot to configure to do that?

Did I sound a bit rude in my previous comment? If yes, sorry!

If you are looking at including sub-tasks data estimated as story points I guess the answer answer is No, you can't do it.

If you are looking at including sub-tasks based on time estimation the answer is Yes, it can be done.

I too am finding sub-tasks AMAZING to use during a sprint, but VERY VERY hard to report on.  I'm not sure why JIRA makes it so hard!!  

Our team switched from Story Points to Time Estimation so that sub-tasks would burn down.

As you can see, the burn down chart DOES works with sub-tasks (it's the only report that does):

SS 2016-08-08 at 6.15.17 PM.png

Notice it says, "112h" at the top of the burn down.

Then, if you switch the Velocity Chart, it says the total Committed was only 3d 5h??

SS 2016-08-08 at 6.14.45 PM.png

When Sprint planning, the Workload report DOES NOT include sub-tasks, even though I'm telling JIRA to:

SS 2016-08-08 at 6.20.53 PM.png

Is there some magic setting in JIRA to just make all reports work with sub-tasks? 
We really like sub-tasks because they stay attached to the story as you move the story around.
We have thought about changing to just using TASKS and linking to stories.... This would fix the reports, but then actually keeping track of all those tasks would be impossible.

How do other people do this?  This seems so broken to me!  Has anyone fixed this?

HOW can this not be an option? I only estimate tasks if they contain no subt-tasks, otherwise I'll only estimate the later. Now I can't see ANY of the reports because the tool simply does not contain an option to display ALLLLLLLL types to tasks in the report. Absurd!

The estimates on a sub-task are of no use in scrum.  In scrum, you say "We will do X points, covering these stories".  You then deliver them, or you do not.  There is no partial delivery (your customers do not care if you deliver 1 point or 99 when you promised them 100 - you either deliver what you said, or you do not)

In real life, the estimates on sub-tasks can be useful during a sprint to see how it is going.  Jira takes the easier and technically accurate route of ignoring sub-task estimates.  It would be nice to see them internally, but as they are pointless in scrum, I am afraid the reports don't show them.

Hello Nic,

I understand that the Scrum methodology requires some specific configurations if you're following it 100%. What I argument is the ability to adapt the reports and gadgets to teams who wish to personalize independent of how the management tool suggests/imposes. Jira prides on their "custom" reports, but there's certain limitations that I see no reason for considering the data source is the one and the same. I simply believe if not to include the subtasks, a manager should have the option to sum up their estimates.

I honestly don't wish to start a thread on the subject here considering it is truly a product owner's choice, I have already contacted the support for a change request where I can add my vote. After some research I know I'm not the only one around the community.

I appreciate the quick follow up though!

Regards,

I would also like to understand how I can have sub-tasks included in all of my reports.

Currently it seems that no reports will include data located in sub entitites such as stories in an Epic or sub-tasks in a Story.

This of course results in a reporting machinery that is next to unusable by me and my organization.

We have rough estimates in Stories while they are in the backlog and once they are handled on a sprint palnning meeting and brooken down into sub-task (with sub-tasks given an estimate) the top story is ZEROED out.

Be warned sub-tasks are not reflected in Epic reports or Release Reports

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 5 hours ago in Europe

Topic Tuesday: How did you learn about the AUG programme?

Back in 2010 I hadn't been using the Atlassian tools (JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo) that long and I started searching online to see if I could chat to other users primarily about how they used the produc...

13 views 0 0
View post

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you