Adding a workflow to screen

rcarty April 24, 2013

hi,

I am testing out using jira for test case management. For this purpose I have created two screens. Test Case Details and Test Run.

I then would like to have Workflow Actions of Open, Accepted, Rejected, Obsolete for the test case actions.

And I would like to have workflow actions of Not Run, Pass, Failed for the test run screen.

I am usiing Jira v4, is this possible to do? I do not see where I can add a specific workflow to a screen. I can add a specific workflow to a project but this does not do what I would like.

thanks,

RC

4 answers

1 vote
Justin Shapiro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2013

terminology aside I'm pretty sure the answer is yes you can.

To me it sounds like we are talking about issue types. As in "I have a test plan and I want to run an iteration of it" so "Test Case Details" is the issue type and "Test Run" is a sub-task. each can be assigned their own workflow with the statuses you require.

0 votes
rcarty April 25, 2013

hi thanks guys,

yes i have created a new issue type called "Test Case Details" and then a sub-issue type called "Test Run". The idea being that the test case details contains the info about the test case. and the test run being an instance of this test case against a specific version.

This much seems fine, i have created two screens (one for test case details and one for test run) both containing custom fields. The Test Run can be created as an normal issue (by clicking create issue and selecting Test Case Details) and the test- run can be created by clicking Create sub-task when viewing a created test case details issue.

Within each of these types, by default the available workflow actions are "start progress", "resolve issue", close issue". I would like to change this so that the Test case details page has options such as "Accepted", "rejected", "obsolete". and the test run has options "Fail" "Pass" "Not Ran"

I am having diffculty figuring out how i can do this. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2013

I think you are conflating workflows and screens together. They are separate entities.

• The workflow is completely independent of screens and is driven by the current status of an issue. The workflow in use is determined by your project and issue type (via the "workflow scheme").
  • Screens are how you interact with issues. The screens themselves are simple lists of fields that say "when a user needs screen X, these are the fields to work with". There are four basic uses of screens - Create, Edit, View and transitions.

You said originally "I do not see where I can add a specific workflow to a screen.". This is because you do not. Screens do NOT determine workflows. You tell Jira that "issue type X uses workflow Y" and "issue type Y uses a set of screens called Z". Separately.

It sounds to me like you need to look at your workflow scheme. Create a new workflow for your test types, then go into the workflow scheme and associate that workflow with issue type "test run".

0 votes
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2013

Hey RC, you may want to further elaborate on the Test Case Details and Test Run whether they are issue types which mentioned by Justin. If they are the issue types, it should be possible with the use of issue type screen scheme and workflow scheme.

Those schemes allow you to associate different screen and workflow to different issue types.

0 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2013

Hi @Ronan, I'm not sure if I understand what you are trying to achieve, but in Jira it's the opposite of what I did understand.

You can have a screen for every transition inside the workflow, and in this transition you can configure validations, conditions, post-functions.

Maybe you won't achieve what you search from this point of view you are explaining, but the workflows are very customizables so I'm sure there's a solution from other point of view,

Suggest an answer