Access Restriction on subprojects

Shipra Arora April 27, 2014

Hi,

Kindly provide suggestions for below mentioned requirement.

I need to set-up JIRA in such a way that a project can have multiple subprojects or components etc. Each subproject will have different set of users associated.

Can access level restrictions be applied on subproject/component level so that a group is able to see one subproject but not the other?

If yes, please explain as how it can be accomplished.

Thanks much!!!

2 answers

0 votes
Shipra Arora April 30, 2014
Thanks Nic for your help... really appreciate it
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2014

Short story is that Jira doesn't have sub-projects, so you can't do this. Project's permissions are controlled at a project level.

You could try to do something clever with components and setting security levels, but that will only control visibility, and requires scripting or plugins.

I think the best you can do is move your users up a level - as you've got different people needing different access, split the work into different projects for each team. You can use categories to tie the projects together into broad sections as well.

Shipra Arora April 28, 2014

Hi Nic, Thanks for reply. I created sub projects already using components but i couldnt figure out a way to have different access restrictions on different components.

The only possible option i could figure out was having issue level security. Created different issue level schemes but its going to be a cumbersom practice as it can be applied only while raising the issue and including multiple groups would become unmanageable with time.

Also creating different projects would be a mess as we would have like 20 different subprojects in it.

Is there any other approach that can be followed?

Thanks much!!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2014

I'm afraid my answer is all you can do. You've decided you need a complex permission structure which is going to be complex in any structure. Jira is designed for this complexity, but the easiest way to do it in Jira is work with many projects. (Other issue trackers I've used do it better at a lower level, but all that does is shift the complexity from many-projects down to a morass of groups and fields, exactly as you say you'd have to do with issue security and groups in Jira)

Suggest an answer