It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

workflow for next-gen project

Is the workflow setting just for classical agile project? I want to add workflow or import workflow from market into my projects, how come there's no such "publish workflow" in my jira setting? And how can I make inactive workflow active? Why cannot I assign the workflow to my projects? Is it because I am using the trial version? Need experts help as soon as possible, thank you.

Capture.PNG

7 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
jillian Atlassian Team May 16, 2019

Hi all, 

I'm a PM at Atlassian, and I'm excited to tell you that we're currently working on adding a new Edit Workflow feature to next-gen projects!  

We still have a bit of work to do, but you can watch this ticket to get updates on our progress. 

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly at jstein@atlassian.com with anything you're hoping to see in next-gen workflows. 

Cheers,

Jillian

Hey @jillian

These are great news, would you be able to give us an update on the feature?

Also, is there a way to configure workflow triggers in next-gen project in the meantime?

Thanks in advance for your answer!

Best,

Angela

Like # people like this

@jillianThis is pretty core to your system, the ability to edit workflows.  Can you explain why it the issue was entered as a ticket on 11/20/2018, but 11 months later, it still isn't even on your Jira Roadmap?  What is taking you so long?  We absolutely require this feature before updating to the next-gen, and we very much would like to do so to gain access to the Roadmap features.  But you are holding us back by not prioritizing this essential feature (to many users).

UPDATE: The above-referenced ticket, JSWCLOUD-17434, was reassigned from Jillian Stein to Dmitry Melikov [ dmelikov@atlassian.com ] on 9/11/2019.  So the issue is clearly not forgotten, but it would be good to see some progress on this after almost a year of nothing for such a core, critical feature.

UPDATE (10/22/2019): Well, they have finally updated the Jira Roadmap to add the custom Workflow editor!  Just be aware that it is scheduled out for 2020 with numerous projects ahead of it.  And knowing how software development can go...well, I wouldn't count on the beginning of 2020 - maybe a year from now is more realistic?  I'm hopeful, but not holding my breath.

Like # people like this

Hi,

Are there any updates for this at all? This is absolutely shocking that such a core component / function of the product is not available in what is meant to be the "next-gen" way of doing things. 

3 votes
Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Dec 06, 2018

Hi Alicia,

Unfortunately workflow customization isn't available yet for Next-Gen projects. It is on the longer term roadmap though! You can take a look at the recently shipped and coming-soon features of Next-Gen projects here. The note about workflows is on a Community post by one of our product managers discussing features.

Workflows are made active by assigning them in a workflow scheme. In the screenshot, you're looking at all the workflows but the assignments are done in project settings. We've got documentation for this here, but in short the steps are:

1. Choose the Jira icon ( or ) > Projects.
  2. Select the project you want to associate your workflow scheme to.
  3. Go to your project and click Project settings
  4. Click Workflows. You'll see which workflow scheme the project currently uses.
  5. Click Switch Scheme and select the relevant workflow scheme from the Scheme list. 

6. Click Associate to begin the migration process. Each issue needs to have a valid status, so you may need to assign statuses to a select number of issues after you switch workflow schemes. 

And for clarity, just stating again that workflows will only be able to be assigned for Classic projects currently. Keep an eye on that roadmap for when it will be available in Next-Gen.

Cheers,
Daniel

Hey Daniel - is there an update for when workflow customization will be available for next-gen projects?

Could you link me to an article that describes how to revert a next-gen project to the "old" project type?

Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Feb 20, 2019

Hey @QueenElizabeth !

We've got an article describing how to convert between Classic and Next Gen projects (both directions) available here. The basic idea is that you create a project of the type you want to be using, then move all the issues to your new project.

As for updates on feature availability, all the information we have available to share is on the public roadmap. This page shows all the features that have shipped to next-gen projects already as well as what's coming up the soonest. You can get a good idea of release cadence by looking at the dates on the already-released features. While workflow customization is not explicitly listed at the moment of this post, our product teams definitely are working on it and will add it to the roadmap when it is nearing release.

Cheers,
Daniel

I see nothing in the roadmap that says anything about associating workflow schemes to next gen projects. Can we assume this will not be in the next gen projects, at all?

Like # people like this

The next-gen projects are pretty useless if we don't have the ability to 1. reassign the type (it's all software project) and 2. it's impossible to change the workflow. Your workflow is heavy complicated - I guess that's the reason why Atlassian itself doesn't use their cloud-hosted version with a new-gen project. The standard workflow would be perfect for a business project! A software project should always contain the status QA-testing / review and blocked.  @jillian  please either enable this feature within a specific deadline or give us a tool to downgrade all new-gen projects to first-gen projects. Nobody got time to create first-gen boards again and move all stories over there. 

Really excited to see this but I see nothing in the nexgen roadmap

Adding that the workflow editor is really important. Just switched my project over to New Jira, and may have held off if I'd realized I couldn't edit my workflows. We have a way around it, but it's awkward, and doesn't do much for boosting the teams confidence in the change. Please don't de-prioritize this!

Still waiting to see workflow edit functionality on NG projects

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

We are reinventing the Sprint burndown for next-gen projects!

Do you have a hard time meeting sprint commitments?  Do you want to know the accuracy of your sprint’s estimations?  Do you want to have an easy way to report your team...

5,090 views 4 11
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you