Why next-gen JIRA board is so slow?

Andrey_Antyufeev March 4, 2020

Hi guys, we have moved from Trello recently, and we are using JIRA next-gen. Is there an explanation why our JIRA is ridiculously slow when it comes to data loading, manipulation with cards, etc?

Is it only us, or it's a common thing? Our sprint board has around 70 cards, is it too much to ask?  

I'm afraid if we won't find a reason and a solution, we would have to move to another platform.

2 answers

3 votes
Jebble March 4, 2020

Jira has been slow for ages, don't expect it to get any better soon.

Andrey_Antyufeev March 4, 2020

This is just sad, I used JIRA in 2008/2009 and in 2013/2014 it was solid piece of technology. However, it was self-hosted... maybe that is a solution ? 

blim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 4, 2020

@Andrey_Antyufeev Sorry to hear this. I’m a Product Manager working on improving Next-gen performance. Any more specifics you can share? Would be great to chat in person - drop me a line at Bryan.lim@atlassian.com if you’re interested.

Like # people like this
Jerrold Poh April 16, 2020

I experience this too.

For our project just the backlog alone takes 30-60 seconds to load before it becomes responsive and any operation e.g. clicking on a card to load in detail view, clicking on a field to edit or even saving takes anywhere between 3-10 seconds.

It's no better in the agile board view and forget about turning on image previews - scrolling becomes nearly impossible to do and dragging cards around is a no-go.

The only redeeming feature is the agile board automatically updates card statuses when other team members drag them around - which can't be said for the backlog view (which requires a refresh and yet another 30-60 seconds wait time + 3-10 seconds to load the card).

I've tried this in both Safari and Chrome and performance on either platform is no better on either. 

Christie Grinham May 6, 2020

@blim Each tab of jira takes at least 300mb of memory.

The backlog is so slow that I have stopped using it in sprint planning meetings because it is painful to use in front of an audience, instead I am just using a spreadsheet with the ticket details in.

Deleted user May 7, 2020

Completely agree! It takes ages to load, to open tickets and to move them around.
We are seriously thinking of migrating to another tool.

Christie Grinham May 11, 2020

Likewise, every developer that joins us complains about Jira

Like James Shaw likes this
Justin Higgs May 20, 2020

I'm experiencing the same issues. I'm on Firefox on Mac and Windows and the next-gen board is unusable. Upwards of 4 second lag when trying to just click and drag a card/ticket across columns. 5 - 7+ seconds to just open a ticket from the board. This is horrible and almost totally unusable for common tasks.

Like # people like this
Andrew Taylor July 9, 2020

same here moved my Marketing department from sprints to next gen and it is like a video loading in 1995 internet... we have less than 400 tasks and you may as well make a cup of tea whilst you are waiting to load ... we moved away from Trello as it was slowing down but this is not good!!!!!... cloud version, fiber network in office.

I think we go need to find something else that has at least workable performance!

Like Craig Vogel likes this
Mikaela Bertucci September 22, 2020

it's still sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

Like # people like this
Mikaela Bertucci September 22, 2020

Why is this still an issue? Has anyone heard anything? I'm considering spending my weekend moving back to the classic version. Wish I could bill Altassian for the time it takes me to do so. 

Craig Vogel September 22, 2020

@Mikaela Bertucci I feel like they have limited resources (1? 2?) for Next-Gen which is super frustrating. 

I've submitted two support tickets now and there have been no improvements. The first support agent finally admitted that poor performance on Next-Gen is a known issue that's being worked on but that was months ago. I provided them access to my instance as well as screen recordings. 

Should be top priority over new features.

Mikaela Bertucci September 23, 2020

@Craig Vogel I'm seriously considering going back to classic.. does anyone know if it's this slow in classic.. 

I remembered it seemed to slow down after using it for a while and I think it was because I had automations. I thought moving to next gen would be faster and it's in fact slower! 

Can you post links to your tickets so my team and I can vote on them. 

Jerrold Poh September 23, 2020

It looks like since I posted in April (above) they've made some speed improvements to Next Gen, plus I upgraded to a faster machine which gave me another bump but it's still pretty slow (nothing compared to the speed of Trello though)

Not sure if it's worth going back to Classic. We run another project on Classic here and it's a hair faster, but the simplicity and the better UI in Next Gen make it much of a muchness.  

Also spoke to a PdM at Atlassian too - who also said they were aware of the speed issues and that they were fixing it.  I wonder if they're doing the classic Microsoft strategy in the 90s, just build software for computers which will exist in 5 years time, and the upgrade cycle will take care of the speed issues 🤷‍♂️ 

Like # people like this
Craig Vogel September 23, 2020

@Jerrold Poh Maybe but can't understand why it's so slow. There doesn't seem to be much going to cause such a painfully slow experience. Obviously don't know how it's built but from outsiders perspective there's no reason for it to be so slow. Granted I'm using a 2018 Macbook Air but my dev team on Macbook Pros also complain about how much of a hassle it is to use because of the lag. 

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2020

Hi everyone!

I'm the Product Manager working on next-gen performance. I'll be taking over @blim as the PM for performance, as he'll be focusing on shipping workflows.

From this month onwards, my team of devs will be fully working on performance (we just shipped keyboard shortcuts to help speed up your work https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Next-gen-articles/Keyboard-shortcuts-have-arrived-for-next-gen-projects/ba-p/1485369).

In fact, we've already got 1 experiment running for the backlog (which is currently showing positive results so far - we'll make a decision next week on whether to productionize), and we're ramping up the whole team to work on the board performance as well.

If you're keen to provide any feedback, and be part of the Beta group to know how we are tackling performance, book a time here: https://calendly.com/iteong/next-gen-performance?month=2020-09

With performance, there are MANY ways to solve the problem, so if you're keen to help me validate my hypotheses around the possible solutions, please chat with me! :) 

Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Regards,

Ivan Teong

Product Manager, Jira Software

Like # people like this
Craig Vogel September 23, 2020

@Ivan Teong Great to hear you're working on it and thanks for the transparency. Hopefully your solution makes it into prod! 

Like Ivan Teong likes this
Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
September 23, 2020

@Justin Higgs A pro-tip for you, Firefox does not support pre-loads right now, so any apps that try to use that to speed up initial load times (including Jira) would not benefit from it.

Firefox is currently developing the preload support (released on Nightly and Early Beta), though unsure when it’s available for GA:

Platform Browsers' Support:

EP October 20, 2020

@Ivan TeongLoading a single ticket with a couple of comments from Denmark it takes 15 seconds. (Using Firefox) - Dont know where your servers are location or whether its just the architecture, but this should be fixed as soon as possible.

As an outsider I can guarantee you that performance should be your top priority, and I'm surprised to see that there are tickets from years ago complaining about performance and they are still not addressed.

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
October 20, 2020

@EP If you're keen to provide any feedback, and be part of the Beta group to know how we are tackling performance, book a time here: https://calendly.com/iteong/next-gen-performance?month=2020-09

Matthew Balshaw October 25, 2020

@Ivan Teong I've noticed a huge speed increase since 4 weeks ago. Managing the backlog during our sprint planning is now really possible! Thanks so much for focussing on this, I was about to start doing sprint planning in excel and loading in a csv to Jira, it was honestly so terrible before.

Like # people like this
Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
October 25, 2020

@Matthew Balshaw So glad to hear that! :D If you're keen to join the Community Beta Group to be in the loop with our changes early, let me know! ;) 

1 vote
Craig Vogel March 10, 2020

It's so bad! Super slow and laggy for me.

Mikaela Bertucci October 28, 2020

Speed has increased. Thank you. 

Suggest an answer