Using JIRA within multiple teams for single project

Raj R December 26, 2019

Hello,

My client (Company XYZ) uses JIRA for project management. They have hired an external vendor to implement a application for them. But external vendor wants to use their own internal JIRA versus using the Client (Company XYZ) JIRA setup.

will there be any concerns using 2 JIRA instances for the same project? 

2 answers

0 votes
Andrey Dekhtyar _Rozdoum_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 13, 2020

Hi @Raj R 

Managing a project where tasks are spread across multiple instances might add complexity to project management. At the same time there are number of addons that might help you to address that issue if you want to achieve transparency and visibility of the process. 

One way to address that from point of synchronization of different Jiras ( here you can take a look at Backbone, Issue Sync etc), another approach is to consider WatchTower for Jira  that aims consolidating of data from multiple Jiras on one agile board. 

Hope this helps

Andrey

0 votes
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 12, 2020

Hi @Raj R ,

In my experience, using 2 different Jira instances across 2 different teams is not uncommon. Different vendors will often prefer to use their own Jira instances for various reasons (eg; maybe their instance is configured the way they like it, or maybe it has add-ons that they use, etc).

I would say the main concern with doing this is that your client won't have much visibility into the work that the external vendor is doing (and vice-versa). This means they'll be relying on team meetings, standups, etc to keep all parties updated. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does add more overhead to the project. 

Hope that helps!

Suggest an answer