It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Time estimates on next-gen boards

Hello everyone,

Is it possible to add time estimates and logging to a task on a next-gen board?

Thanks

Dan.

7 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Oct 18, 2018

Hi Daniel,

Time tracking isn't available yet on Next-Gen projects but is on the short-term roadmap. You can check out what's on the roadmap and what's recently shipped here: atlassian.com/roadmap

I'd also recommend checking out this Community article where one of our Product Managers discusses what's available in Next-Gen projects and what hasn't been shipped yet.

Cheers,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

As a non-Daniel, I was wondering. I couldn't find time tracking on that roadmap link. Is it still not ready? I did see it in some explanations but can't seem to get it working.

Like # people like this

I am curious to know about this as well. Pretty big feature for us that is missing

Hi,

I really could do with the feature too. I've started using next-gen project and have come to the point when I need to start tracking time and find its missing.

Like Valentin Gnatyuk likes this

Hey all!

I've had a chat with the development team and while this feature isn't close enough to deployment to make it on the public Next-Gen roadmap, it is still in the works! Unfortunately that's all the info I can provide at this point. Do keep an eye on the roadmap page to see when this gets closer to shipping.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

I also need time estimates for tasks in order to use the next-gen kanplan board type. 

Like Thomas Wagner likes this

any updates @Daniel Eads? It's critical issue for us
Thank you 

+1 on Time Estimates for me as well @Daniel Eads ! It'd be really great to see where this is at on the roadmap.

Thanks!

Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Feb 20, 2019

Hi everyone,

All the information we are able to share at this time is available on the roadmap page. Features are added to the "Coming soon" section when release is imminent. We're not able to share specific dates or targets for features not currently on the roadmap, so keeping an eye on that page is the best way to get information about when features are about to ship.

Cheers,
Daniel

I hope that we are not the only team in the world, who share Jira with a client - and it's no possible to show to client StoryPoint estimation.

How much money is 5 story points? If Atlassian team know the answer, tell me.

Please, think about it this way.

Like # people like this

How could this even be launched without a time estimation feature?

Shows a total lack of understanding of the customer and a lack of respect for the time of people who have got part way through set up before realizing this does not exist.

Very disappointing.

Like # people like this

We are also very keen to make most of next-gen, but production use with the team will unfortunately not be feasible as long as hour estimates are not available for use.

+1 on Time Estimates. Next Gen is unusable until then. 

+1 need time estimates for next-gen to work for us

+1 need time estimates for next-gen to work for us

+1  Absence of Time Estimate is like rolling out a new car without steering wheel; Very difficult for management to see project timelines and make informed decisions regarding priorities and resource allocation/management. 

How hard is it to convert this lame duck to a Kanban board?

Like Ireen Evans likes this

We honestly need time estimations too :(

What's the status?

How is "time" not one of the most crucial functions (note I did not call it a "feature") of a project tracking  management system? I should be shocked that this was released.

Ironically it's the 'timekeeping' aspect of JIRA which keeps me loyal. A lot of other project management systems don't offer it either. I sure hope that's not a sign of a future trend..

Hi Daniel,

First off, great name.

Thanks for your answer. As much as I'd love to use the next-gen system, there's not much point if I can't track time.. so I'll wait for now.

Thanks

Dan.

I agree. If features that you've come to depend on in a classic project are not available in a next-gen project, then migrating doesn't make sense. Furthermore there seems to be a good deal of risk involved in transitioning if you are not fully aware of all the features that might be missing or not behave as they previously did.

hi, any updates on this issue for next gen? is there any time estimation on when it will be available again?

thanks,

Tal

Perhaps there is no time estimate because there is no "Time" function in the project to manage it. ;-)

Like # people like this

Any updates about time estimates? Next-Gen is really useless this way!

Like # people like this

We have rolled back to classic projects. A big hassle due to an immature version of Jira Software unfortunately. 

Like # people like this
5 votes
ivanteong Atlassian Team Oct 03, 2019

Hi everyone,

We are kicking off research into original time estimates in the next 2 weeks, so we can build it for next-gen projects!

If you're keen to have a chat with us (we will thank you with a gift voucher for your time), please book a chat with us at https://calendly.com/iteong/jira-software-next-gen?month=2019-10

Note that there will be limited availabilities in my schedule, so if you're keen to chat, please schedule something as soon as you can.

Many thanks and looking forward to chat with you soon!

Regards,

Ivan Teong

Product Manager, Jira Software

Hi Ivan!

Any updates on hours estimation feature? 

How is this not the most important feature on your roadmap?

As everybody telling you - this is absolutely essential. 

Just created my first next-gen project, but now I have to delete it and go back to the "classic" way because of this.

I was getting my team to switch over to next-gen. Set up one project for scrum development and I now find that there is no way of input time estimate per story. 

This makes it useless for project or product management. Can you please tell me how I can convert a story point to a time frame? I get that you can edit the high-level roadmap. But now we end up just drawing whatever times we want.

I see this has been a request since late last year. Whatever happened to the agile way of actually listening to your users? Disappointed with JIRA.

0 votes

We found there is Time-tracking feature available now, along with Story Point Estimate field, however the Time remaining value is not calculated... Is there some settings to make it working? Thanks in advance!

Apologies, I found resolution - user just needs to provide initial value for Time Remaining field and next time Spent Time value added - the remaining time is calculated automatically.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

We are reinventing the Sprint burndown for next-gen projects!

Do you have a hard time meeting sprint commitments?  Do you want to know the accuracy of your sprint’s estimations?  Do you want to have an easy way to report your team...

5,084 views 4 10
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you