Show/hide columns in a board for different flows?

lisa.tesler February 4, 2020

I am in one of several teams that uses Jira in our company.

For the kind of team I'm in (very small cross-functional team), having to create and manage multiple stories for each step of the content workflow is tedious overhead. Having to create labels (or any other fields) for each step is also tedious. Having to create subtasks is tedious overhead, and adds no value for us right now.

Instead, we would like to be able to add columns to our board to reflect a piece of content's progress through the workflow. That way, we can just drag and drop from one column to the next once each step is complete, and get a convenient view of our progress--which is the point of the board, right?

The problem is that different aspects of our work have different workflows. Content goes through draft, SEO review, edits, functional review, add to site, localize, etc. Whereas UX changes, functional changes, etc. that are tied to design and engineering work use a different workflow.

Thus, we would like to be able to show a content-oriented view of the board for content changes, an engineering-oriented board for coding changes, etc.

I see other threads here talking about ideas like creating entirely separate boards, or entirely separate projects for this sort of thing. That makes sense when a project involves independent scrum teams and/or larger teams. But I'm in a very small team within my company. In our team, we wear multiple hats. The amount of Jira stories/tasks or board cross-dependencies we'd need to manage, and the time we'd spend switching back and forth between boards, etc. in order to get any work done would be ridiculous in our case.

I also see that going to the classic version might give us more options. But then (a) we'd lose the good things that are in the next-gen version; and (b) we would need to wait in line behind bigger teams for our Jira system admin's time, because classic boards can't be set up by smaller teams in our company. Only next-gen boards can.

If we're limited to a single board in next gen, then what I'd like to know is whether we can add the superset of columns to our board, and then set up filters to only show relevant columns, depending on what kinds stories we're working on in the moment?

1 answer

0 votes
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2020

Hi @lisa.tesler -

If we're limited to a single board in next gen, then what I'd like to know is whether we can add the superset of columns to our board, and then set up filters to only show relevant columns, depending on what kinds stories we're working on in the moment?

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but unfortunately what you're describing isn't possible in next-gen.

But then (a) we'd lose the good things that are in the next-gen version

You're right, but I would look at it from the opposite perspective - if you stick to next-gen, you actually lose the good things that are in classic. Mainly, the ability to configure a project so that multiple teams can work in it and track work. The level of customization you need is only available in classic at the moment.

Hope that helps!

Suggest an answer