Project hierarchy: Road Map - Product Progress - Epics

tobiasvitt April 27, 2020

Hey, 

I have trouble organising the hierarchy of my jira next-gen project. 

Currently we use the Road Map (Epics) to indicate the progress of our product phases. We basically have something like "MVP Phase 1" and  "MVP Phase 2"  as Epics in our Road Map. This is nice because we see our longterm progress (2-6 month). The problem that I'm facing now is, that I have a lot of stories / tasks that span over multiple sprints, because they are large components. So I would like to use epics for them to nicely distribute the tasks over multiple sprints. Now, I read about Initiatives and other things as a highlevel structure on top of epics, but as far as I know they don't work with the roadmap feature. 

Should we remove the "Product Phases" from our road map and don't use them as epics? How do you keep track of all the epics / stories / tasks that have to be done in different phases when you don't use epics for them?

1 answer

0 votes
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2020

Hello @tobiasvitt

It seems like to need to go into further detail than what the Next-Gen Roadmaps feature could provide for you.

For this level of detail and tracking I would suggest using Atlassian's Portfolio for Jira (PoJ), this will give you the Roadmap view you are looking for and you can drill down on Stories and Epics versions automatically. 

You would need to invest more time into setting up PoJ with team capacities, issue estimates and issue priority, to name a few criteria, once you have this process established your Roadmap will automatically calculate predicted completion dates, blockers, and help you to resolve them. 

Hope this helps,

Danny

Suggest an answer