How to customize reports of issues?

Stephan Knobloch January 10, 2020

Looking at the issues with status "done" this is something I'd like to send to a manager or even a customer. It's nice, that I can export eg all done issues (or all unfinished) to a word document. But this document contains tons of informations, that are not needed or even useful for the customer. And the layout is naturally not perfect for that specific purpose.

Is there a way to change the layout and restrict the info for a more "out of the box" and "ready to use" report?

Otherwise we'd need to use CSV reporting and create something on our own, which implies additional manual processing for each report. I'm a lazy guy so that'd be not my favorite way to go.

3 answers

1 vote
Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 10, 2020

Hi @Stephan Knobloch,

If you don't insist on the Word format, you can alternatively give a try to PDF format.
One way to flexibly export the fields you need to a PDF document is by using the Better PDF Exporter app.  If you collect the fields you need in the Issue Navigator and export from there you can get a document like this:

jira-issue-list-table-export.pngFind more examples here.

(Please note that Better PDF Exporter is a paid and supported app and I'm a member of the team behind it.)

Stephan Knobloch January 10, 2020

Looks very nice! I'll dig into this to find out the best format. I really like that https://www.midori-global.com/downloads/jpdf/jira-issue-table-export.pdf at first glance. Is there a template for it available when buying?

Seems to be a mighty tool, thus the template need to do some deeper learning.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 10, 2020

Actually, almost all of these exports were created with built-in templates that come with the app and don't need any customization to create PDF exports like these. These can be generated out of the box with the app, without touching the template. Only if you want to implement some custom logic, a complicated layout that you need to customize the template. Even then you have a comprehensive documentation and you can always consult with our support team if you have questions.

0 votes
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2020

@Stephan Knobloch you can also set up a subscription to a saved filter. That would allow an email to be automatically sent on a predefined schedule with the issues and columns that you configure. One caveat is that I notice the issue type icons aren't getting rendered in my mail client so we'll take a look at that.

Levente Szabo _Midori_
Marketplace Partner
January 24, 2020

Thanks, @Eoin that's a good approach, too!
It got me thinking: can you set up the filter subscription to send an email for a customer or anyone outside the organization without a Jira access?

Use cases like @Stephan Knobloch's often arise when folks try to share Jira data with third-parties who don't have access to the Jira instance or require the reports a certain file format.

Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2020

The subscription recipients are limited to user groups set up within Jira. 

Another option here is to use the free Jira Cloud for Google Sheets integration to pull data in to Google Sheets on a schedule... https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Jira-Cloud-for-Google-Sheets-Automatically-Refresh-Your-Data/ba-p/1200264

0 votes
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2020

Hi @Stephan Knobloch 

Currently, there is no option in Jira to select the fields that will be exported when exporting to word format.

If you need to select the fields, you need to select the desired columns and export them to CSV.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events