How to control sort order for Kanban workflow status values

Edwin Scott January 28, 2021

I have a Next-gen project setup as a Kanban project.  I have configured my Workflow so that I have one status in the "to-do" category, multiple in the "in-progress" category, and one for the "done" category.  My board shows all of these status values as columns from left to right, and they are in the correct order (they way I want them displayed on the board).

I've created a filter for a daily report we send out that shows all of the tasks using "ORDER by rank ASC".  This was working until I added two new status values into the workflow.  The new status values are in the correct "column" when viewing the board, but the sort order is not correct on the filter/report.

I've tried "ORDER by status", but that result is worse than rank.  (in-progress items show up both before and after to-do and done status values).

I've tried going to the top-level settings/issues/Statuses, where you can control the order of status values, but my custom status values for this project are not displayed there.

Is there a way to control the sort order for a filter based on the status values for a Kanban project?  Specifically for a Next-gen project on the Cloud version.  

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 31, 2021

Hi @Edwin Scott - it's not something available in next-gen projects yet unfortunately (it is available in classic projects).

There is an order which is created upon status creation - so one possible (painful) workaround you could use is to recreate all your columns in the order you want - and then delete the old columns and move all the issues to the relevant new columns. 

Edwin Scott January 31, 2021

Not the answer I wanted to hear, but at least I have an option for a work-around.

Thanks,
Ed

0 votes
Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

rank isnt really reliable beyond sorting issues within a status.  Once they transition out of the status you lose the relative ordering you had with the issues in the previous status.

If you want to maintain some sort of ordering/priority between issues independent of status transitions, you'll want to use another field but you'd lose the drag and drop convenience that you have while using rank on boards.

I'm not sure what you mean by "independent of status".  I don't care about the sort order for tasks with the same status.  I just want each task ordered into groups of status values.  For example, if I have a set of tasks with status values of A, B and E, I want to see my list in this order A A A B B B E E.  I don't care how the A's are sorted.  I had this working using rank before, but now I've added two new Status values, say C and D.  I want to see the filter display this way A A A B B B C C D D E E.  This would reflect the order of the columns in my Kanban board.  However, I'm seeing this: A A A C C D D B B E E.  I'm looking for a way to make the filter order match the order the columns display on my board.

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

Ah I understand what you mean now.  Are they ordered in the order you want them to be in within the admin section for status's?  There should be up/down arrows allowing you to sort the status's.  Note that this would be system wide and not on a per project basis.

When I go into the admin section, the only status values I see are the default Jira status values (I tried to describe that in my original post, but may not have been clear).  I see the following: Open, In Progress, Reopened, Resolved, Closed, Building, Build Broken, To Do, Done, Backlog, Selected for Development, In Review.  We may have added some of these for our Scrum type projects, but I'm not seeing the Status values that I added to my Kanban project.

It looks like what the Kanban workflow calls a "category" may map to the status values To Do, In Progress, and Done.  It looks like they reuse the term status in a Kanban project, what I see as status values in the "manage workflow" area, get displayed as columns on my board.  The columns are in the order I want, but I can't find a way to have the filter display them in the same order as the columns are displayed.

Randy
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2021

If you remove EE columns and recreate them and move any issues from the old EE to the new EE status's, does it fix your filter query results?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events