• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I hide a task from the board without deleting it? Edited

I feel like every time I search for a way to "archive" a task I get very confused and must be using the wrong language.

I am using a next gen board and all I want to do is hide, archive or otherwise remove the ticket from the board/backlog without deleting it. Seems like the most basic of basic pieces of functionality.

What am I doing wrong here? Am I missing something? 

I feel like I have put hours into finding an answer to this every few months and always feel like I must be missing something.

3 answers

Hi @Nick Maskell you could use the backlog, go to your project and select Features, then activate the Backlog.

Now in the sidebar go to Backlog and then you could move to backlog the issues that you don’t want to appear in the board

hope it helps

Hi Manuel, I already have a backlog. I use that to manage my teams work. 

I still have a situation where I might not want to lose the history of a ticket, but I no longer need to have it sit in my backlog making it bigger and bigger until it was unmanageable.

Is this just a piece of functionality that does not exist? Are there any alternatives I am missing? 

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Feb 01, 2021

Hi @Nick Maskell

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

It might depend what should further happen with this special piece of "work package". Assuming it is something you consider to do later but you don't want it to clutter your board the backlog is a nice place.

But if you instead know it will be a non-starter on long-term you would in common practise close it with a resolution "won't do" (or any other that suits better for your team). This is something that Jira users are familiar with for years in Classic products - you mentioned next-gen. On next-gen any other resolution than "Done" is still something to come, however it looks that will be done soon:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17497
Some more information is also visible from the related Suggestion over here:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18435

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Eoin Atlassian Team Feb 02, 2021

Hi @Nick Maskell - it's not possible to hide tasks one by one at the moment. It is something we will consider for the future but it's currently not a high priority based on overall feedback.

If you are working in more of a kanban style (i.e. no sprints) you can archive all tasks in a Done column at any time. You can use the "Clear x Done issues" option in the column meatball to achieve this.

I hope this helps! Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Hi Eoin,

That makes sense, but I do also not want to have this as "done", as it would be misleading if picked up in the future as the work was not done. 

I guess I am just a bit confused as I do not want to mark something as "done" (which hasn't been done). I just want a way to hide it from my board or "archive". It seems like something every company would have a need for.

I don't want to delete a ticket that someone has put time into creating as it may provide some valuable information to someone picking up a similar issue in the future. I also want to avoid deleting as sometimes there are tasks that I think are no longer required, but a couple of months later turns out they are. 

Am I just doing something wrong here with the management of my board? There are 4 PMs at my company searching in desperation on how to do this, but maybe we are just getting something wrong :D 

Eoin Atlassian Team Feb 04, 2021

You are definitely not doing something wrong :) If the work isn't done, and you don't want it hanging around in the backlog - how about moving it to another project?

There is a Move option in the issue meatball that you can could use - note this has a few steps involved so it is not currently very efficient.

Alternatively you could add an automation rule to clone/delete https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/move-an-issue-with-automation/, triggered for example by adding a label. Note there is a limitation on how many cross project rules (500) you can run each month in standard.

Let me know what you think.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

Feature Announcement: Jira Software Next-gen Workflows Transitions: In Progress -> Done

Hello Jira Software next-gen fans, My name is Bryan Lim and I'm a Product Manager working on next-gen. Today, I'm pleased to announce the launch of Workflow Transitions in next-gen. Workflo...

4,742 views 37 27
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you