Boards! Is there a way to create multiple boards associated with a single next-gen project?

Jenna Goodward February 27, 2019

Has anyone found a good work-around for if you want to use a Next-Gen project, but have multiple boards associated with it?

I love the roadmap feature of next-gen but need to have boards/backlogs for different scrum teams.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend an add-on to Class Scrum/Kanban projects that is like the "Roadmap" feature of next-gens?

33 answers

2 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 27, 2019

Hi @Jenna Goodward - There is currently no way to have multiple boards associated with a next-gen project. This probably isn't very helpful, but the moment if you want to stick to next-gen you'll have to create a different project for each scrum team.

We will be bringing multiple boards to next-gen projects, although we have yet to start this work on this feature. Please add your votes to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17371 and watch the suggestion to get automatic updates.

I don't know much about third-party add-ons, but I do know that for classic Scrum/Kanban projects we have Portfolio for Jira which will give you a Roadmap-like feature, though it is more complex.

Hope that helps!

Jenna Goodward March 3, 2019

Thanks @Kevin Bui

Helpful to have that clarity. Do you know if the roadmap feature of Next gen boards is on the Atlassian product roadmap for Classic projects? Or, if multiple boards is on the roadmap for next gen projects? :)

Like # people like this
Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2019

Hi @Jenna Goodward - I can confirm that Roadmaps is a next-gen only feature, and won't be coming to classic projects.

I can also confirm that the ability to have multiple boards for a next-gen project will happen some time in the future, but can't confirm any timeframes.

Like # people like this
Jenna Goodward March 4, 2019

Thanks @Kevin Bui

I would be really happy about multiple boards in next-gen projects.

Like # people like this
Trey Williamson April 3, 2019

@Kevin Bui Would like to mirror previous comments on a need for multiple boards within a project.

Like # people like this
Paolo Padiernos May 31, 2019

Agreed. It is essentially impossible to run a dual-track agile setup with next-gen given the multiple boards limitation.

Like # people like this
andrew June 3, 2019

I would like to echo this. We have multiple processes that occur with stories throughout its lifecycle. Discovery, pre wip tasks i.e. analysis, technical analysis and sizing. Multiple boards is a fundamental need for our team. 

Like # people like this
Kira McCoan October 29, 2019

Same - would really love to have multiple board capability. This is currently the only blocker to adopting next-gen for us

Like # people like this
Paolo Padiernos October 29, 2019

1000% please give us the ability to have multiple boards. We went with the a classic setup for our project because we fundamentally need at least two boards (one for development, the other for discovery, as we do dual-track agile), and it's an impossibility to do product development off of one board for us.

Like # people like this
Dave Whitehead October 31, 2019

Yes, we can't execute a dual track methodology with a single board. It's a shame as I'm really interested in the new reporting offered with next-gen projects.

Like # people like this
jo October 31, 2019

+1 for this!

Like john feeley likes this
Damon Studt November 4, 2019

It's been over a year since this feature has been requested by customers.

@Kevin Bui  Any sort of update on a timeframe for this? 

Like # people like this
Christine Løvli November 18, 2019

+1 one and where are you on this task? 

Christine Løvli December 4, 2019

Echo!!! Multiple boards

Roberto Iglesias December 13, 2019

@Kevin Bui any updates? This is a key feature.

Like # people like this
john feeley January 8, 2020

This is a HUGE gap in the Next-Gen Jira. I've been "selling" my internal teams on separate Projects as being viable, but the truth is it's not a good solution at all. Multiple Boards is the best way. If this ever comes out I wont even care about my time to migrate my stuff.....I just just need it supported.

Like # people like this
Torfinn Olsen January 14, 2020

Really would love an update on this feature. We're at a stage where being able to integrate Kanban projects with several statuses for enforcing WIP limits on various teams working alongside our Software development teams in SCRUM boards feeding status and volume of completed tasks back to the roadmap would be incredibly valuable.

@Kevin Bui do you have any updates for us?

Like # people like this
Nathan Worsley May 18, 2020

Seriously Atlassian this feature is so critical, please implement it!

Currently I'm about to switch away from next-gen because we crucially need the ability to create multiple boards

Like # people like this
Martin Tripiana October 13, 2020

Same as @Nathan Worsley here. It's becoming critical to have this feature. Moving away from next-gen until then...

1 vote
Answer accepted
Eoin
Atlassian Team
March 1, 2021

Please add your votes to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17371 and watch the suggestion to get automatic updates.

We will be bringing multiple boards to next-gen projects, although we have yet to start this work on this feature.

Thanks

Eoin

Product Manager

Nataletta April 15, 2021

Hi, would you be able to contact me. I habe some questions. 
thank You

8 votes
David Raffelt January 8, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

7 votes
Nick Thorne January 15, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

6 votes
Dima Farbman April 20, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

5 votes
Monika Jha February 11, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

Thanks

4 votes
Sutermar April 7, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

3 votes
Deleted user August 6, 2020

+1 for multiple boards in next gen projects

3 votes
Kaha Aznaurashvili April 14, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

2 votes
Alex Reizer September 23, 2020

+1 for multiple boards!

2 votes
Abdallah Shadid August 16, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

1 vote
Tori Cook January 6, 2021

+1 for multiple boards Cannot use next-gen without it

1 vote
Guilherme.Gomes December 21, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

1 vote
fedesg October 16, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

1 vote
Jeevan Mathew October 5, 2020

I wish Atlassian do not ship products without fixing major gaps! I was also trying to sell new-gen projects to teams who live in spreadsheets for planning as they can create fields  as they wish (the feature new-gen offers) but reversing the decision because new-gen does not support more than one board (how cruel is this to the jira users!)

1 vote
Nico Mayer August 25, 2020

+1

Btw, the comment from atlassian: Roadmaps won’t be coming to classic, multiple board will come to nextgen seems not to be true. The roadmap feature is already there for classic.

Since there are new features released for classic and not so for nextgen, can nextgen be called dead?

1 vote
Deleted user July 31, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

1 vote
Ricardo Soares July 20, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

1 vote
Meron Gebru July 14, 2020

Atlassian- this is a huge limitation and probably should be flagged when folks migrate to Next Gen... 

We hope you take customers' feedback and address this issue soon! 

1 vote
Stefan Iacob July 12, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

1 vote

+1 for multiple boards

1 vote
Daniel Polistchuck June 19, 2020

Hi folks, it's been more than 1 year since the original request... do you already have an ETA for multiple boards on next-gen projects?

We'd like to be able to have Upstream (Backlog Refinement, UX, Tech Refining) and Downstream  (Dev, QA Work) boards.

BTW, should this question be marked as "Solved"? The solution isn't available yet, besides the workaround of switching to classic projects.

Leonard Schreij June 22, 2020

Agree, I hope Atlassian releases this before fall.. Next gen is slick, no doubt, and this would get the Classic-enthusiasts over the line at my firm

Like Daniel Polistchuck likes this
1 vote
Ryan Shugars June 12, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

1 vote
Rakesh Bisht May 4, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

1 vote
Nataly.Rudnitsky April 27, 2020

+1 for multiple boards

1 vote
ananthakrishnan_subramanian December 3, 2019

One workaround for multiple boards is create "Quick Filters". 

I mean - You can create one board under the project. Then go to the Board Settings (Configure) and Add quick filters each having an underlying JQL. 

I created around 3-4 custom quick filters and it works fine. Not sure if there is a threshold to the number of Quick filters you can create on a board. 

Torfinn Olsen February 24, 2020

Yeah that doesn't help much if you're managing Scrum/Kanban tasks in the same project unfortunately though. For instance, SW combined with Hardware, or procurement associated with SW etc.

Good solution if you're doing pure Scrum or pure Kanban for sure though.

paru.madhavan February 24, 2020

ananthakrishnan_subramanian Is there a way to create Quick Filters for a Next Gen Board? Or are you referring to Jira Classic?

ananthakrishnan_subramanian April 14, 2020

paru_madhavan - Yes, i have started to like classic JIRA offlate! (more than next-gen) And the quick filters i created is on the classic JIRA project. Will check if there is a way to create those on next-gen project. Haven't tried it in the past. Will post my comments soon. thanks. 

Like Deleted user likes this
0 votes
Kerry Zhou February 11, 2021

+1
a scrum team can shift between different projects or work on more than one simultaneously within a sprint. 

Suggest an answer