It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Boards! Is there a way to create multiple boards associated with a single next-gen project?

Has anyone found a good work-around for if you want to use a Next-Gen project, but have multiple boards associated with it?

I love the roadmap feature of next-gen but need to have boards/backlogs for different scrum teams.

Alternatively, can anyone recommend an add-on to Class Scrum/Kanban projects that is like the "Roadmap" feature of next-gens?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kevin Bui Atlassian Team Feb 27, 2019

Hi @Jenna Goodward - There is currently no way to have multiple boards associated with a next-gen project. This probably isn't very helpful, but the moment if you want to stick to next-gen you'll have to create a different project for each scrum team.

I don't know much about third-party add-ons, but I do know that for classic Scrum/Kanban projects we have Portfolio for Jira which will give you a Roadmap-like feature, though it is more complex.

Hope that helps!

Thanks @Kevin Bui

Helpful to have that clarity. Do you know if the roadmap feature of Next gen boards is on the Atlassian product roadmap for Classic projects? Or, if multiple boards is on the roadmap for next gen projects? :)

Like # people like this
Kevin Bui Atlassian Team Mar 03, 2019

Hi @Jenna Goodward - I can confirm that Roadmaps is a next-gen only feature, and won't be coming to classic projects.

I can also confirm that the ability to have multiple boards for a next-gen project will happen some time in the future, but can't confirm any timeframes.

Like # people like this

Thanks @Kevin Bui

I would be really happy about multiple boards in next-gen projects.

Like # people like this

@Kevin Bui Would like to mirror previous comments on a need for multiple boards within a project.

Like Peter Jansen likes this

Agreed. It is essentially impossible to run a dual-track agile setup with next-gen given the multiple boards limitation.

I would like to echo this. We have multiple processes that occur with stories throughout its lifecycle. Discovery, pre wip tasks i.e. analysis, technical analysis and sizing. Multiple boards is a fundamental need for our team. 

Like # people like this

Same - would really love to have multiple board capability. This is currently the only blocker to adopting next-gen for us

1000% please give us the ability to have multiple boards. We went with the a classic setup for our project because we fundamentally need at least two boards (one for development, the other for discovery, as we do dual-track agile), and it's an impossibility to do product development off of one board for us.

Yes, we can't execute a dual track methodology with a single board. It's a shame as I'm really interested in the new reporting offered with next-gen projects.

+1 for this!

It's been over a year since this feature has been requested by customers.

@Kevin Bui  Any sort of update on a timeframe for this? 

+1 one and where are you on this task? 

Echo!!! Multiple boards

@Kevin Bui any updates? This is a key feature.

One workaround for multiple boards is create "Quick Filters". 

I mean - You can create one board under the project. Then go to the Board Settings (Configure) and Add quick filters each having an underlying JQL. 

I created around 3-4 custom quick filters and it works fine. Not sure if there is a threshold to the number of Quick filters you can create on a board. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Next-gen

New features for next-gen projects in Jira Software Cloud: Releases and Versions

Hi Atlassian Community I work on the Jira Software product team and I am happy to share that we have just added support for releases and version s in next-gen projects for Jira Software Cloud. You...

12,133 views 42 41
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you