Introducing manual board clearing for your next-gen Kanban board!

53 comments

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2020

@Nate Embree You meant the number that can be cleared (in your meatball menu option) doesn't coincide with the number of issues in the column? If yes, it could be that the rest of the issues aren't considered resolved / done (do they have a tick on them?), because it was from a previous column that wasn't considered DONE. To resolve this issue, you'll need to move them out and back into the DONE column again. See the above comments.

Anna Kiswani August 12, 2020

I don't have that feature and I am using next-gen Kanban board. When I click 3 dots on Done columns I only have Delete & Set Column Limit. Am I missing something @Ivan Teong  ? 

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2020

@Anna Kiswani You've disabled sprints, right? Also can I have a screenshot of your DONE column?  Does that column have a tick at the top?

Anna Kiswani August 12, 2020

@Ivan Teong Thank for getting back to me.

Yes, sprints are disabled and Done column has tick at the top. Please see attached Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 9.56.56 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-12 at 9.57.22 PM.png

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
August 12, 2020

@Anna Kiswani does each issue on the DONE column have a tick on them? See the previous comments in the thread. I suspect you have the same issue.

Nate Embree August 13, 2020

@Ivan Teong  it appears with several people having the same issue about the Done column not reporting an accurate number of issues to clear that is actually in the column, there may still be a bug in Jira that needs to be looked at.

However, I was able to do a bulk move of issues from the Done column into another column, and then do a second bulk move from that column back to the done column, and was able to do a manual clear.

Ben Golder September 2, 2020

@Nate Embree @Ivan Teong 

So I found a way to do this at scale - just had to with about 400 tickets.

I made a dud column on the board, then bulk transitioned (via filter view) all the issues to that dud column and then back to the "done" column, which updated all the issues to being "resolved"

After that, when you go back to clear all the issues in the column, it'll cover everything in there. (expounding on your notes earlier)

Steffen Müller November 4, 2020

Quick note: the german translation translates "clear" with "delete", giving users a really bad feeling pressing that button ;)

Rosalind Loo November 18, 2020

Hi @Ivan Teong 

You can use manual board clearing with any sprint-disabled next-gen projects.

I have sprints disabled. How do we clear "done" items manually?

I also have some "won't do" tickets in the backlog. How do I achieve these?  I don't want to delete them and have them disappear forever.

Thanks.

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
November 18, 2020

@Rosalind Loo 

| I have sprints disabled. How do we clear "done" items manually?

You should be able to do it above? Is it not working?

| I also have some "won't do" tickets in the backlog. How do I achieve these?  I don't want to delete them and have them disappear forever.

You can change them to DONE, and it'll disappear from your backlog upon a page load. You can leave a comment on the ticket that you're not doing them.

Rosalind Loo November 19, 2020

HI @Ivan Teong Is this a bug on my end and need to raise a support ticket? This is the settings I have.

DATA board - Agile board - Jira 2020-11-20 15-30-07.png

Like jackie_orlando likes this
jackie_orlando January 14, 2021

@Ivan Teong -- I am an admin of both Jira and a Next Gen project but I still cannot see the option to manually clear issues in the column that is set to "done". The only options available are "set column limit" and "delete". The board in question is NOT setup to run sprints so I can't tell why it might not be working. Am I missing something else that needs to be done to enable this feature? Right now, neither this nor the automatic "14 day" clearing is working so I have a done column with over 250 tickets sitting there and its really frustrating. 

UPDATE - SOLVED IT - I figured this out with the help of someone with a lot more patience to comb through comments than me...

• The issue was that the tickets in the "done" column didn't have the check mark which actually marks them as resolved/done
  • The fix was creating a Temporary column/status in the "in progress state" > bulk transition all done issues to that TMP status > bulk change back to the "done" status/column

Might be worthwhile to update your FAQs section with this so it's easier for people with the same problem in the future to find the fix. Would have saved me over an hour of my time and a lot of frustration. 

jackie_orlando January 14, 2021

remove/combined with above comment

Niamh Greally January 26, 2021

Hi I am having issue with this - did anyone come up solution?

I am both org admin and admin for the project

Also have 24 items all marked as done and green tick at top 

still dont see this option?

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
January 26, 2021

@Niamh Greally Is your project sprint-disabled or enabled? This only works for sprint-disabled projects.

Niamh Greally January 27, 2021

@Ivan Teong sprint enabled.

How do we clear this column with sprints enabled? 

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
March 7, 2021

@Niamh Greally Manual board clearing is only for sprint-disabled projects. Your DONE issues will be cleared when you close a sprint.

Deleted user July 20, 2021

Hello, 

I just migrated my team from a classical department-based sprint board to a Kanban next-gen board and I now have all the done tickets (About 60 of them) that are still visible on the board, I am unable to clear them. 
How can I clear this? 

Austin Songer December 8, 2021

Why can't I clear any boards on JIRA Work Management Templates?

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
December 8, 2021

@[deleted] Sometimes the data changed during migration. Try changing the status of the issue again by moving it back/forth from another column, and try again. It should work for a non-sprint Kanban board.

@Austin Songer Jira Work Management is a different license/product, this feature currently works for Jira Software's Team-Managed Projects.

Deleted user December 9, 2021

@Ivan Teong , 
That is what I landed up doing but when I move projects I have over 100+ tickets that landed up con the done column which was a painful thing to then re-close.

Caroline Pic January 4, 2022

@Ivan Teong I'm facing the same issue as everyone else.

My sprints are enabled, and I cannot disable them as we're using them daily. I don't mind not being able to clear the Done column manually. The problem is that all the Done items don't seem to be cleared from the board when I close a sprint and it's been going on for 7 sprints now.

If you look at the below screenshot, all my tickets in the Done column have green ticks. I've tried the method of creating a temporary 'In Progress' column and moving them back to 'Done' but nothing changed. When I try to complete the sprint, it only tracks 1 done issues, when there should be 10.

Screenshot 2022-01-05 12.30.41 - Display 2.png

Ivan Teong
Atlassian Team
January 5, 2022

@Caroline Pic The issues are only cleared from the sprint on the last column. This is because a workflow flows from left to right.

To resolve this issue, instead of having 2 separate columns with 2 different done category statuses, have both the DONE and INVALID done status category statuses in ONE LAST column like the below screenshot.

This will clear all the issues in both of these statuses when a sprint is closed.

Screen Shot 2022-01-06 at 11.12.40 AM.png

Caroline Pic January 5, 2022

It worked, thank you so much @Ivan Teong !

Like Ivan Teong likes this
Kirsti Griffith January 21, 2022

Is there a plan to provide this functionality in Jira Work Management???

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events