How can I keep track of the tickets I'm watching in JIRA?

Kelsie Zika February 7, 2018

My employer uses JIRA with Atlassian to keep track of bugs and stories that need to be fixed, updated, or implemented. Some of them are very important (such as users of our product not being able to log in to their accounts), and many of them I have selected "watch this issue" on.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to locate a tab or page that shows me all the issues I'm watching, so even though I receive email notifications of the progress updates on these tickets, I still have to specifically search for them in the system in order to locate them and view the details.

Am I missing something?

5 answers

2 accepted

16 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2018

The query 'watcher = currentUser()' should get you the tickets you seek. :)

Jonathan Barrick May 15, 2019

watcher = currentUser() did the trick! 

Thank you, @Steven F Behnke !!!

Like # people like this
Harun Juhasz June 30, 2019

Thank you!

Usability is terrible...

Like # people like this
hanna.wenter August 27, 2019

I'm brand new on Jira and definitely do not have any background in coding, so please forgive me. But, can you please explain further where to enter the query you listed? I tried using the search function and that did not return results, so I assume that entering a "query" is a more specific process? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. 

Like # people like this
Shauna Bott August 28, 2019

@Steven F Behnke I am in the same boat as @hanna.wenter

Where is the query function.  My company uses Jira to report issues.  As a PM I need to watch these issues to know when they are being released.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  I looked at the documentation that @Brittany Wispell provided but it did not seem to provide the answer I needed.

Thanks in advance

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2019

Hi @hanna.wenter & @Shauna Bott 

What types of Jira instances are you using? examples: Atlassian Jira Cloud or Jira Server? 

What type of reporting are you looking for? @hanna.wenter 

What type of reporting do you need? @Shauna Bott 

Like hanna.wenter likes this

@Brittany Wispell I assume I am using Atlassian Jira Cloud as that is in the browser bar as mycompanyname.atlassian.net.

I am needing to see a list/report of the items that I am watching.  I have tagged each one as an item to watch but would like a list as I don't always remember the Jira number or title to do a search.

Thanks for your quick response

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2019

Hi @Shauna Bott Below I set it in step order with images. If anything needs clarification please let me know!

Step 1: Click on the Search icon(magnifying glass) Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.04.38 AM.png

Step 2: The below will show up you'll want to click on the 'Advanced Search for Issues' option. Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.04.46 AM.png

Step 3: You're now in the search for issues sectionScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.05.06 AM.png

Step 4: Copy/Paste watcher = currentUser()Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.05.26 AM.png

You can always switch back to a basic search to look for anything else that you are needing to report on. 

Switching to basic searchScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.15.35 AM.png

Fields easily available Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.15.44 AM.png

Searching available fields:Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.16.01 AM.png

Like # people like this

@Brittany Wispell Thank you.  That is what I needed.

hanna.wenter August 28, 2019

@Brittany Wispell That is exactly what I was looking for as well. Thank you very much, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such a thorough answer!

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 28, 2019

You are both very welcome! That is what we are here for :) 

Have a great remainder of your week. 

Like # people like this
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2019

@Brittany Wispell thank you so much for adding detail

Like Brittany Wispell likes this
Nathan_Diesel November 14, 2019

Atlassian change this: Between steps 2 & 3 you have to click on "Switch to JQL"

Switch to JQL.png

Like # people like this
9 votes
Answer accepted
Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2018

Like Steven said..the query can help you find those items and you can add a gadget to a dashboard. 

Here are some filtering documentation pages. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/saving-your-search-as-a-filter-764478344.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/advanced-searching-764478330.html

Nishant Sharma November 22, 2019

But what exactly does this query fetch you?
watcher = currentUser()

Does it fetch you the issues in which you tagged?

0 votes
Rene Massana February 12, 2021

Worked for me to click first on "Switch to JQL" then pasting 'watcher = currentUser() ORDER BY created DESC'.

0 votes
christine briggs November 5, 2019

Switch from basic search to Advanced Search to open a JQL query window and type the query:

key in watchedIssues()

Bulk change all your watched issues with the dropdown options by clicking the ... in the upper right corner of the page.

0 votes

I figured it out! Thanks to both of your suggestions/tips, Steven and Brittany!

You've both been saviors. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 7, 2018

@Kelsie Zika if you click the checkmarks next to their answers they will get credit for providing good solutions! Just a tip :) 

Brittany Wispell
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2018

I wish I could like comments!

Awesome, thanks Monique! :) 

and yes, I second the motion for liking comments!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 7, 2018

@Brittany Wispell we have that as a feature request! 

@Test User KL and @Tyler T ^^^ the users have spoken 😉

Like # people like this
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2018

Happy to help

Suggest an answer