It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I keep track of the tickets I'm watching in JIRA?

My employer uses JIRA with Atlassian to keep track of bugs and stories that need to be fixed, updated, or implemented. Some of them are very important (such as users of our product not being able to log in to their accounts), and many of them I have selected "watch this issue" on.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to locate a tab or page that shows me all the issues I'm watching, so even though I receive email notifications of the progress updates on these tickets, I still have to specifically search for them in the system in order to locate them and view the details.

Am I missing something?

4 answers

2 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Steven_Behnke Community Leader Feb 07, 2018

The query 'watcher = currentUser()' should get you the tickets you seek. :)

watcher = currentUser() did the trick! 

Thank you, @Steven_Behnke !!!

Like # people like this

Thank you!

Usability is terrible...

Like Adam Gay likes this

I'm brand new on Jira and definitely do not have any background in coding, so please forgive me. But, can you please explain further where to enter the query you listed? I tried using the search function and that did not return results, so I assume that entering a "query" is a more specific process? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. 

Like # people like this

@Steven_Behnke I am in the same boat as @hanna.wenter

Where is the query function.  My company uses Jira to report issues.  As a PM I need to watch these issues to know when they are being released.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  I looked at the documentation that @Brittany_Wispell provided but it did not seem to provide the answer I needed.

Thanks in advance

Hi @hanna.wenter & @Shauna Bott 

What types of Jira instances are you using? examples: Atlassian Jira Cloud or Jira Server? 

What type of reporting are you looking for? @hanna.wenter 

What type of reporting do you need? @Shauna Bott 

Like hanna.wenter likes this

@Brittany_Wispell I assume I am using Atlassian Jira Cloud as that is in the browser bar as mycompanyname.atlassian.net.

I am needing to see a list/report of the items that I am watching.  I have tagged each one as an item to watch but would like a list as I don't always remember the Jira number or title to do a search.

Thanks for your quick response

Hi @Shauna Bott Below I set it in step order with images. If anything needs clarification please let me know!

Step 1: Click on the Search icon(magnifying glass) Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.04.38 AM.png

Step 2: The below will show up you'll want to click on the 'Advanced Search for Issues' option. Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.04.46 AM.png

Step 3: You're now in the search for issues sectionScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.05.06 AM.png

Step 4: Copy/Paste watcher = currentUser()Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.05.26 AM.png

You can always switch back to a basic search to look for anything else that you are needing to report on. 

Switching to basic searchScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.15.35 AM.png

Fields easily available Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.15.44 AM.png

Searching available fields:Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.16.01 AM.png

Like # people like this

@Brittany_Wispell Thank you.  That is what I needed.

@Brittany_Wispell That is exactly what I was looking for as well. Thank you very much, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide such a thorough answer!

You are both very welcome! That is what we are here for :) 

Have a great remainder of your week. 

Like # people like this
Steven_Behnke Community Leader Oct 11, 2019

@Brittany_Wispell thank you so much for adding detail

Like Brittany_Wispell likes this

Atlassian change this: Between steps 2 & 3 you have to click on "Switch to JQL"

Switch to JQL.png

Like Darcy_Verlinger likes this
8 votes
Answer accepted

Like Steven said..the query can help you find those items and you can add a gadget to a dashboard. 

Here are some filtering documentation pages. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/saving-your-search-as-a-filter-764478344.html

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/advanced-searching-764478330.html

But what exactly does this query fetch you?
watcher = currentUser()

Does it fetch you the issues in which you tagged?

I figured it out! Thanks to both of your suggestions/tips, Steven and Brittany!

You've both been saviors. 

Monique_vdB Community Manager Feb 07, 2018

@Kelsie Zika if you click the checkmarks next to their answers they will get credit for providing good solutions! Just a tip :) 

I wish I could like comments!

Awesome, thanks Monique! :) 

and yes, I second the motion for liking comments!

@Brittany_Wispell we have that as a feature request! 

@Kevan_Lin and @Tyler_T ^^^ the users have spoken 😉

Like # people like this
Steven_Behnke Community Leader Feb 07, 2018

Happy to help

Switch from basic search to Advanced Search to open a JQL query window and type the query:

key in watchedIssues()

Bulk change all your watched issues with the dropdown options by clicking the ... in the upper right corner of the page.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Confluence

What project did you transition or start on Confluence with the shift to remote work?

It’s been great to hear from fellow users over the last few weeks about the best tips and fun moments you’ve had working on Confluence since the transition to working remote. I’d love to keep the c...

131 views 3 7
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you