Automatic status change when issue gets blocked by linking

AEuler November 14, 2022

Dear Community, I would like the issues in my Jira projects to automatically get a blocked status when they get a "blocked by" link.

In this regard I have already found the following channel. However, during implementation and testing, I found that this implementation helps when I look at the issues from the perspective of the blocking issue. However, I would like (also due to the large number of potentially blocking issues, in which I also have no administrative permissions) to consider the check of the link from the perspective of the blocked issues.

My automation from the point of view of the blocking ticket:

Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-14 um 08.48.27.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2022

Hi @AEuler 

As far as I got your requirement right you´d like to set the destination issue to a blocked status. 

So let´s say we have "Story A" and "Bug B" which blocks the story (--> so story gets "blocked by" bug). In this case the story is the destination issue of the issue linking and you would like the story to automatically transition to a "blocked/waiting for dependency status".

If this is correctly interpreted there is a special branch "destination issue" I would suggest to use. see the screenshot below:

image.png

(just change to your special status name).

Hope this was helpful.

Best
Stefan

AEuler November 14, 2022

@Stefan Salzlthank you for your quick reply. Has just worked directly on the first test.

Like # people like this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2022

AWESOME! Great to know you got that working.

Thanks for your feedback.

Best
Stefan

Aaron Holt September 13, 2023

is there a way to reverse this as well? So, once all the linked issues have a status of 'done', that the destination issue then changes from blocked to 'to do'? 

I've tried to reverse engineer the above with no success. 

thanks 

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2023

Hi @Aaron Holt — welcome to the community,

This should in general be possible.

As you are describing another use case and this is an old, already resolved post I recommend to open a new question describing your special use case in details to figure out a specific resolution for your use case.

This helps the community to analyze your specifi use case (that could differ from the one in the original post) and furthermore your question is populated in the unresolve questions so it will get more awareness at this place.

Don‘t hesitate to tag me in your question so I can maybe follow up directly.

Best

Stefan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events