Associating issues with customers from an external table

Acácio Porta Nova
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 30, 2021

Hi team

We are using JIRA to keep track of issues that sometimes are related to specific customers (rather than just generic software issues). For the sake of analytics, we would like to be able to map the issues to the customer in a way that allows us to then cross-reference other systems (non-Atlassian).

At the moment, we are using a custom field and write the name of the customer, but this is inefficient (a small typo and we lose track). We have our customers listed in an external system, on a database table.

How could we set up something so that this custom field in JIRA tickets would be populated only by values from a list which is automatically refreshed (say every week) from an external source? I've been looking around for answers but haven't found a definitive one yet...

Thanks!
Acácio

1 answer

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2021

Hello @Acácio Porta Nova ,

There is no OOB way to load data from an external DB into a custom field in Jira Cloud at this point in time.

However, as already discussed in the below thread, there are a number of 3rd party apps you can install from the Atlassian Marketplace that can allow you to do so:

Please notice that there may be more apps available to help you achieve the same, search the MARKETPLACE for more.

Also, having the right skill-set you can build your own integration/app. For details and instructions please see: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dario

Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2021

Thanks for the mention @Dario B 

@Acácio Porta NovaWhat kind of external DB are you using to keep track of your customers? For example is it a Postegre or MySQL database? If it is, Elements Connect for Cloud would work. If you have any questions about how to get your data to display in the custom fields, don't hesitate to contact our support.

Laura

Like Dario B likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events