wrong date validation

Thomas Gächter October 16, 2019

I use the default date field (date of birth).

If I fill in for example "2.3.45", no error is returned, but autocompletion is done to 27.02.0045. I would have expected an error message.

How can I set that always the input in the format dd.MM.YYYY is required?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2019

Hello Thomas,

Sorry to hear you are facing this problem.

Indeed, JIRA does not validate if the date imported has the same number of digits specified in the date picker, but only the format of the date as it works in the java language. In fact, all the missing digits on the left of the entered number will be considered as "0", just like you are reporting.

Although this behavior is expected as explained in this thread, we completely agree with you that it might cause some confusion to users that are not aware of it.

That being said, we have opened the following feature request to add a validation step together with an error message in case the date informed doesn't have the correct number of digits specified in the date picker:

Add some validator and error message in JIRA when a user enters a date using dd/MM/yy, while the input date format is set to dd/MM/yyyy 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

Please, let me know if you have any questions.

Thomas Gächter October 18, 2019

Thanks for your answer. But it is not just the year.

from 2.3.45 will be 27.02.0045

2 -> 27

3 -> 02

Is it not a bug? what is the logic behind it?

Suggest an answer