workflow condition

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2012

workflow initial steps are as follow:

Create Issue > (state - Open Action) Transition: Take Action > (state - In Progress) Transition: Approve , Transition: Reject..........

Now, I need as below:

When issue gets created then "automatically" would assign to the "Business" group other then "Reporter" (creator) user (even through reporter user in "Business" group.

And also, issue creator user can't do the "Take Action" transition. there should assign the issue to another user.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2012

I don't find the question very clear. I can see the workflow, and I can see that you want to do something with the creation transition so that the issue is assigned to someone, but I'm afraid I don't understand who.

First, you say "would assigne to the business group". Jira doesn't have "assign to group", you can only assign to users. I don't think I've understood this though, and I'm not sure you are asking to assign to a group.

The rest of your sentence loses me completely, sorry.

Could you explain it differently? Who do you want to assign the issue to? Pseudo code might help clarify - for example:

If (day == monday)

Then assign it to Alice

Else, assign it to Bob

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 8, 2012

Adding some details:

Example:

1. Mr. John (in jira - "bussiness" role) is taking action for "Create Issue":

(option in create issue screen) Assigned to : "Automatically" .

2. Issue gets created with default status as "Open Review"

Assigned to Mr. John.

3. Mr. John - take action (transition) as "Start Review"

Issue status gets changes to "In Review"

Now, problem is ,

I don't want, Mr. John can do "Start Review". And focely restrict the creator of the issue for "Start Review" action and need to assign this issue to some one else manually by creator of issue (Mr. John).

OR In jira create issue screen, "Assigned - 'automatically'" would handle this to automatically assign this issue to some one else other then reporter of this issue.

Please let me know in case more clairfication require.

Thank You.

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2012

1. If you want to assigne the issue to some other person you can write post function and configure on create issue transition

2. To restric creator should't view the action you can add condition at "start review" transition and you can make visible to specific person or members in project roles or a group only

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2012

Ok, thank you, I think I follow that.

Looking at points 1 and 2 first - that sounds correct to me, but you might want to look at the details of how "automatic" works. It's a bit complex, but you can change the default to be unassigned, the project lead, or, the most flexible option, the component lead (that assumes you are using components of course)

You CAN set assignee to a fixed person with the "post functions" that are built into Jira, so they may be worth a look.

If that's no good, then you'll need to do some coding - you'll need a listener or post-function that will read the issue entered and interpret your business rules on who the assignee should be and then set it to that. Note that if you are definitely using OnDemand, then you're stuck because you can't write code to do that.

For the last point, I think you need to look at the "conditions" on the "Start Review" transition. I'm not entirely sure I understand your sentence there either, but rather than try to explain it, I'd ask you to look at the conditions on the transition first and see if you can do it there. The conditions basically say "a user can only do this IF these conditions are met", most of them are things like "user is assignee OR user is in a group X".

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 8, 2012

Thanks for your comments.

At Start Review transition , i added separatinon condtion (never executed) from "Any" to "Open" steps can do the action.

Even thourgh reporter/creator of the issue can take the action.

Any idea, how can we restrict to creator of the user to allow for taking action on issue., I couldn't find any condition to restrict reporter to take action.

Thanks

Suggest an answer