workflow condition on issue resolution trying to resolve issue

Юрий_Пайков June 25, 2014

Hello! I'm trying to understand the workflow usage in this particular case:

For example, I'm trying to resolve an issue(though actually the case is more general and applies to any transition with field edit), and there is a screen associated with this transition where I can choose which resolution I want to pick

Now, before this transition Resolution was Unresolved. Is it possible to pose a Condition or Validation on this transition which checks what I entered in the Screen associated?

Because now, when I require that Resolution be non-empty, meaning that I should fill it in the Screen, the very transition is unavailable because, apparently, workflow checks the field condition before I attempt to make a transition

More general, is it possible to check something one enters on the Screen associated with a transition which allows/disallows consequent execution of that transition?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2014

Hi,

I think what you are looking for is the workflow validators. Validators check the values entered in the screen and some more conditions if required and allow/disallow transition based on the result.

If you put the condition for the resolution to be non-empty, it will not allow the transition coz, the resolution is Unresolved.

You can put a validator to check if the resolution is non-empty and it will do the trick.

JIRA Suite utilities and Script runner plugin provides validators to do this.

Vijay

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2014

Indeed - conditions are there to stop a user starting a transition, whereas validators are there to prevent bad data being logged - they block the transition after the user has entered data.

However, in the case of Resolution, you don't actually need anything.

If you put the resolution field on a transition screen, it gets filled in and saved - you don't need to check that it's been filled because it always is. (Resolution is the only off-the-shelf field that does this though)

Thank you, Vijay and Nic. Now I know the difference. But the set of options is drastically different. Can you hint me as to where I can find "field is equal to somevalue" validator?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2014

The standard validators are quite limited in my opinion, and the first thing I usually do with a new Jira site is install the Jira Suite Utilities which adds a number of validators (and other stuff). It's free and can be used OnDemand. If that doesn't do what you need, check the marketplace for other plugins, there's quite a lot of very useful validators out there.

OK, thanks, I found Workflow Enhancer, which allows me to check field value, but is it possible to check whether the code was commited to repository in validator?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 25, 2014

I've not worked with a validator that does that, so I don't have anything to point you at. I do know it's possible, because I did it for a client once (a very old version of Jira and a very clunky method, but it did work)

Suggest an answer