I want to find my account ID after I log into jira

5 answers

1 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2019

Hi,

Welcome on Community!

The easiest way I've found to find my accountId is to click on my icon on the sidebar and then on the "Profile" link. In the URL you can find your accountId after the last "/" :

https://********.atlassian.net/people/5bb7ad0ccc53fd0760103780

The bold part of the URL is my accountID :)

A programmatically available option is to use the REST api to search for a user and get his/her accountId in the JSON payload sent back.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2019

Hi! 

Can you share the method? 

Cheers,

Gonchik Tsymzhitov

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2019

Hey Gonchik,

Here is the REST documentation: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/v3/

If you know the user name, email or key you can use the User endpoint, if not I would recommend to find members of jira-users group with GET /rest/api/3/group/member which includes the accountId as an attribute in its response payload.

Hope it helps!

Cheers

Like # people like this
Filipe Dias March 11, 2019

Hello Micky.

Can you please tell me why I'm getting my account ID on a different format?

I'm getting it like this: atlassian.net/people/557058:db4467a5-32f3-48f9-be3b-687a1bc0468c

I need my ID on the format you showed us here for an API use and only get it like that above.

Can you help me? 

Thanks a lot.

Like # people like this
Jesse Cooke November 25, 2019

Thank you for this. Very helpful!

Sunil Thakur September 3, 2020

Hey Guys, Can you tell me how to get Account Id in Jira Server. It seems to work with Jira Cloud only. So is there a way to get it in Jira Server as well?

Like # people like this
7 votes
Derek White January 13, 2022

The Account Id not being listed inside Create and manage API tokens (or anywhere) is just plain stupid. If I am generating an API token, there is a 100% chance I will be using my Account Id with it. Why not provide it?

Same with custom fields. Just give me the id.

Having an official, recommended solution of "hover over this link and grab it from the URL" is abhorrent.

2 votes
AJP February 21, 2024

There is an actual API endpoint for this:

GET

https://<your_domain>.atlassian.net/rest/api/3/myself 

I couldn't find it myself through regular searching.  Eventually someone else kindly gave it as an answer to a different question.

1 vote
muhammad August 3, 2023

Hi,

I tried to get a account ID from profile after the /people/{accountID},

But its is coming with  different format like this 712020%3Ab81688df-0c5d-44cb-bc11-315f0e8e4390.

Could anyone pl help me to check which is the correct one and how to find one. Because this ID is not working. I'm constantly getting error on API that Specify a valid value for reporter

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2023

Hi @muhammad ,

just replace "%3A" with ":" in that string. That will give you

712020:b81688df-0c5d-44cb-bc11-315f0e8e4390
Like # people like this
0 votes
Filipe Dias March 1, 2019

Hello Micky.

Can you please tell me why I'm getting my account ID on a different format?

atlassian.net/people/557058:db4467a5-32f3-48f9-be3b-687a1bc0468c

I need my ID on the format you showed us here for an API use and only get it like that.

Thanks

Anna Bozhko March 12, 2019

Hi!

I believe account ID comes after :

as I have the same atlassian.net/people/557058:and then account ID

Thanks,

Anna

Like Dexter Columbuzz likes this
Lorraine Gorman April 23, 2019

We have to change all our username references in JMWE and need to use the full string for Account ID.  Some of our people have the short form (without the hyphens and 557058:) and some people have this longer form (with the hyphens and 557058:).  I'm not sure why there are different formats but I think you do need the full string in the reference. 

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2019

Hi Lorraine,

accountIds can take different formats, depending on when they were initially created by Atlassian, whether the user is (or was) a Jira Service Desk "portal-only" user, etc. Don't pay attention to the format.

In JMWE, you can easily get the accountId of any user by using the "Lookup user..." button in the toolbar of every Nunjucks editor on any post-function configuration page, as well as on the Nunjucks Tester page. Also, please note that accountIds in JMWE need to be prefixed with "accountId:" (which the Lookup user functionality will do automatically).

Like Lorraine Gorman likes this
Lorraine Gorman April 23, 2019

Thanks David.  I think via our testing we are discovering this.  That lookup function in JMWE is especially helpful btw.  

Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 11, 2021

Seconding what David said - accountids can have a colon or not, be slightly different lengths, etc depending on various factors that there's no need to worry about.

Use the whole account ID either way.

Source: at one point I worked on the Atlassian account systems (but not anymore!)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer