updating jira user passwords in bulk

Hi

Is it possible to change the password of users in bulk.

We want to change the password for 1200 jira users and doing it manually one by one is going to be very time consuming.

Is there an easy way?

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

Yup, that works for internal directories, that's why I asked! You can stop Jira, change the passwords with SQL and restart it, and the new password will kick in. But only if it's using internal user directories. The answer changes if you're using something else.

p.s. I'm pretty sure it still works, having done it today...

That's right. If he is using Microsoft AD he must fetch all users and set the password. That's done with powershell.

Code snippet:

$FetchedUser.Invoke("SetPassword", "newpassword")
$FetchedUser.pwdLastSet = 0
$FetchedUser.SetInfo()

0 votes

Not in the UI.

However, what authentication system are you using?

Hi Nic,

it's funny :-)

My hint is an answer from you in 2012.

NIc: its jira internal directory...

@Rahul: In this case follow the link in my answer. It is leading to the step-by-step tutorial from Nic. It works.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,129 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot