update issue details based on resolution feild

Aditya Aryasomayajula January 28, 2020

Hi,

I am new to Jira. I have a question about issue details in Jira. I would like to know if it is possible to update the information displayed in an issue based on which resolution filed it is set to? 

For example, If I have 3 resolution fields, started, in progress and completed...and I want the issue details to display specific text when it is set to started and display a different test in the description when the resolution is changed to in progress and a different text when it is set to completed. 

Is there a way to do it? I hope I am clear in explaining the problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tony Rossiter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2020

@Aditya Aryasomayajula 

Can you provide some clarification?  In particular: 

1. When you say issue details, are you referring to the Detail field or other fields associated with the issue type?
  2. If not the Details field, what kinds of field(s) do you want to change?  Text, select lists, user fields, etc...

The general answer to your question is advanced workflow configuration (post functions in particular): 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/advanced-workflow-configuration-776636620.html

Please note you'll need Admin access to either the project or the system to do this. 

I'd also recommend starting slow with the field updates on your transitions as you have to configure them correctly for them to work.  Tread lightly as too many workflow configs can make for a very complicated problem you'll have to fix.

Aditya Aryasomayajula January 28, 2020

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick answer.It would be the second option. I am thinking of including check list with at least 3-4 options which change according to the resolution field. I will look into the advanced workflows as you mentioned, but if there is an easier way to go then I would prefer that instead. Are there any apps that could do it?

Regards.

Tony Rossiter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2020

I would check out Automation for Jira.  Not sure if it's a 100% fit (I've never used it) but they've made a lot of this automation work much more accessible for people just starting out. 

Suggest an answer