unable to update the Developer license in Dev env

Leena Bakshi October 11, 2018

Hello,

I noticed that somehow our Dev Jira instance v7.3.3 has picked up the Commercial license and now when I am trying to update it with our recently renewed Jira Developer's license, its not letting me. 

"The license could not be installed.
This license does not match the type of JIRA currently licensed. This is a license for DEVELOPER JIRA, which does not match your existing license for COMMERCIAL JIRA. Please remove all other licenses for COMMERCIAL JIRA if you'd like to change the type of your JIRA instance. For more information please see License compatibility."

Jira Core does not show any license. and when I try to paste Jira dev license, it gives the same message.

Any ideas what am I missing ?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2018

Hi Leena,

Have you tried emptying the Jira Software license first, save then apply the dev license?

If it's still not working I guess it's because it's been installed as commercial (with a commercial license) which means you might need to re-install?

Cheers

Leena Bakshi October 12, 2018

Thank you Micky , it worked. so I removed the license (with lil nervousness in my head ;) ) and then pasted the developer license.. and It took it.

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 12, 2018

Great!

Don't be too nervous: Atlassian licenses are not one-time codes, you may reinstall or anything and use your license again which means removing it from staging/dev environment will never be an issue :)

Have a great day.

Cheers

Leena Bakshi October 12, 2018

I agree, even though I was only uninstalling the license and not the software , but trust me I dont like to meddle with atlassian tools unless its absolutely necessary otherwise I ll end up guessing what broke some other functionality which was working 5 mins back ;) 

Italo Qualisoni [e-Core]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2020

For folks that are having this issue in 2020, we can't update the license with an empty string.

The solution was to change both Service Desk and Software to a trial license and only then apply the developer license.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer