turn off time tracking

Daniel Möller November 25, 2019

I'd like to turn off the time tracking in JIRA cloud but I can not find it in the german version.

2 answers

0 votes
Monika Simeonova January 5, 2023

Hi! Has anyone found a resolution for this issue about how to hide the Jira time tracker so users can only see the external tool we are planning to use? Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

See the previous answer's comments - look for mention of permissions.

Like Aleksandra Lutsenko likes this
0 votes
Jamil Rahimov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2019

@Daniel Möller 

1. Go to ‘Settings’
  2. and then ‘Issues’,
  3. then ‘Issue Features’
  4. and then ‘Time Tracking’
  5. Click ‘Deactivate’ to disable time tracking
Daniel Möller November 27, 2019

Many thanks for your fast reply.

But in that case we are missinig the field "ursprüngliche Schätzung".

So unfortunately it does not work like that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2019

Yes, the "original estimate" is part of the time-tracking.  If you turn off time-tracking, that field has no use, so it goes away.

If you want to keep time tracking, but just stop people logging work, change the project permissions so that no-one can log time.

Gabriel Jost February 4, 2020

In the current/our JIRA cloud version, there is no "deactivate" (button, link etc.) in "Settings"->"Issues"->"Issue Features"->"Time Tracking".

Am I missing something?

Like Jyothi SJ likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2020

You can't disable it on Cloud, (unless you have not got any work logs yet last time I looked)

You'll want to remove the estimate field from screens, ensure it is not used in boards and then check none of your permission schemes allow people to log work.

Like # people like this
Gabriel Jost February 5, 2020

Thanks Nic for the quick reply.

I yet removed anyone/anything from the log-work permission.

The problem is that we yet have logged-worked which came in via an external tool which isn't configurable regarding wether to sync tracked time or not. Removing the fields (via "Project settings"->Issue layout") only really/completely (independently of actual values present) removes them if the user uses the "new Jira experience" (or how it is called). The "old" experience will keep showing the fields if they have a value in it.

So it seems we have to live with this situation. In the end there shouldn't be more "logged work" added to our tickets, as the permission was revoked for everyone.

Suggest an answer