to link an issue with the subtask of its linked issue

Iryna Pazharytskaya May 29, 2021

Hi all,

I am relatively new to Jira. In my current project I create a sub-task A and later I trigger a new linked issue (task within the same project). How could I also link this thriggered issue to the previously created sub- task A?

Thank you in advance

1 answer

0 votes
Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2021

If you have a static trigger or a custom field with static information that is defined as the trigger and selected. You can create an automation that creates the sub-task for you when that trigger is selected. Automation for jira is part of the cloud version if you're on server or DC you have to buy it and load it. 

Load Automation for jira or use the legacy auto.ation tool on server. 

Do you have a trigger? Can you give me more information so I can walk you through the answer.

Iryna Pazharytskaya May 29, 2021

Hi Aaron!

Thanks for your reply. First I create a subtask x using Create issue based on the following parameters. Then after a coulple of transition I create a new issue within the same project using Create A Linked Issue (JSU). So the new issue is linked to the current issue. Then in the creation transition of a new issue I want to link it to the sub-task x of its linked issue. I am trying to do it using "Link Issues to the Current Issue" jmwe Post-function where I am supposed to write a groovy JMEW script which I am struggling with.

Thank you

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2021

I haven't wrote a lot of groovy scripts but with some time I might be able to answer as I usually use automation for jira. 

Iryna Pazharytskaya May 30, 2021

Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your time. I managed to fix it by:

1. ceating a new field in the issue I create with the value of the key of the original issue;

2. in the creation transition of the issue I create I used Link issues to the current issue (JMWE app) post function withe following script: "project = "project_name " AND type = "Sub_task_type" and parent = ${issue.get("original_issue_key_field")}";

Best,

Iryna

Suggest an answer