time in status for non done issues

Doug Summe January 13, 2013

I would like to see how long an "issue" has been in its current status. It seems the gadget on my dashboards will only show items after they are marked done? Any way to config it show time in status for all issues related to the project.

Basically Today (or now)- last status change=> associated to current status?

9 answers

2 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2013

HI

Detailed explanation of my points mentioned earlier.

1. Through Jira suite utilities: You can view the transition time per status per issue by installing the jira suite utilities plugin. Once installed, Go to the jira issue and at the bottom click on transitions summary and you will see the time the issue spent on each status. The only drawback is you do not get average time spent but the individual ticket time spent.

2. Jira charting plugin: This plugin has a chart - Average Time in Status. It displays the average number of days/hours issues have spent in a particular status.

2. Through Jira charts: Resolution time chart might be useful. It is a slightly different metric but you can use this metric the same way to manage performance.

'Resolution Time'— a bar chart showing the average resolution time (in days) of resolved issues.

• This is useful to show you over time whether your team is getting better or worse at resolving issues in a timely fashion.

Hope it helps...

Rahul

2 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2013
1 vote
Gregory Kneller
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2015
-- TIME IN STATUS - MySQL VERSION

set @Status='Open;  -- change name to your status and project
set @Project='JRA';

select @Status,issuenum, sum(delta), count(*) loops from 
(select j.issuenum,startdate,min(enddate), TIMESTAMPDIFF(HOUR,startdate,min(enddate))  delta from
(select issueid, created startdate from changeitem i, changegroup g where g.id=i.groupid and field='status'
 and newstring=@Status) a ,
(select  issueid, created enddate from changeitem i, changegroup g 
  where g.id=i.groupid and field='status' and oldstring=@Status) b,
          jiraissue j where startdate<enddate 
           and a.issueid=j.id and b.issueid=j.id
           and j.project=(select id from project where pkey=@Project)
           and j.id=issue
 ) group by issuenum, startdate
) c group by  @Status, issuenum
Gregory Kneller
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2015

if you need average, change sum to avg, or something like

Shashi Jha October 5, 2015

Anyone: What is equivalent query in Oracle.

Gregory Kneller
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2015

{code} define Status = 'Open' select &&Status, ... {code}

Andres Malatesta August 15, 2018

Hi @Gregory Kneller

Thanks...! Your query is great ...! Please, could you tell me the correct way to write the sentence below:

"... where startdate < enddate ..."

I don't know what's it "<". I think that is an operational sign, but which is that?

thanks a lot.

Bryce Kujala April 30, 2019

@Andres MalatestaThat should be a "less than" symbol, which is likely getting filtered by the forum software.

1 vote
Tansu Akdeniz April 15, 2014

Hi,

Time in Status plugin allows you track status duration with user, project and advanced mode. There is time span configuration. You can also export to excel.

Hope it helps,
Tansu Akdeniz

Doug Summe May 1, 2014

Is there any plug-in for on demand?

Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 9, 2019

Hello @Doug Summe ,

I am happy to inform you that the original Time in Status app by OBSS now has cloud support:

• Our app creates reports on how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee or user group.
  • Number of time each status or transition was used.
  • View durations in days, hours, minutes, etc.
  • Include issue fields in your report.
  • Export data as CSV, XLS or XLSX.
  • Calculate time or count averages, grouped by multi level issue fields that you select.
  • Define your own business calendars.

We now have Server, Data Center and Cloud options.

0 votes
Kevin Mandeville April 30, 2018

It would be ideal for us to be able to see the time in status on our board, so during standup we can at a glance see if stories are taking a long time in progress or blocked, etc. With a lot of team members, there is a lot in progress and hard to keep track of which ones might be stalled and which are just new tickets

Kevin Mandeville April 30, 2018

Now I feel silly. Turns out Jira has this EXACT feature. You just have to enable it under Board Settings -> Card Layout -> Days in column. Seems like an odd place to bury this feature

Felicia Moser May 1, 2018

Where on the ticket does it show/say days in column??

Kevin Mandeville May 1, 2018

It doesn't show the actual number of days, it's an indicator, a few colored dots. I haven't 100% figured out the full meaning of them yet (They don't show 20 dots if it's been 20 days)

Felicia Moser May 1, 2018

Thank you! I noticed the dots but wasn't sure if that was it. 

Kevin Mandeville May 1, 2018

You're welcome! They definitely could do a better job of pointing that feature out, and explaining it. I just hover over it to tell me the value. Beyond 4 days, it's harder to tell, at least for me. 

0 votes
Raj Domala August 29, 2016

@tousif shaikh Could you please elaborate on how did you do that. I need that please. Thanks!

0 votes
tousifs
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2013

hi,

we add the custom field and when we transition issue update the time diffrence to custom field this way we can work around it.

0 votes
Andrew Toppan January 14, 2013

We're looking for the same functionality. For example, we want chart the average time that issues CURRENTLY "in progress" have been in that status, and show the trend over time. Similar to JIRA's average age gadget, but for average time in a particular status.

This seems like fairly common metric many organizations would need, but surpringly I've been unable to find a plugin that does it.

0 votes
Doug Summe January 14, 2013

I don't see option to show average time in status for issues not resolved...is there a way to look at a current release (not complete) to see what was the average time spent in each stage...

Suggest an answer