Our original story points field was a numeric field I had to type in. I created a new story points field and made it a drop down of the Fibonacci numbers. I then renamed the old to a new name story points (a) and named the new field to just story points. I thought I was good but now on the boards no point values will show or calculate with velocity. Is there something I am missing or do I just have to go back to my original field? 

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

The boards need numeric data to work with - a select list is a set of string names (even if those strings are numbers, they're still just names for options).  You need to use a number field for this.

This widget could not be displayed.

Perhaps you could use post-functions on relevant transitions to copy the value (convert to a number using groovy) into the original story point field.

Yes, you could, but you'd want to do it as a listener, so you can pick up edits outside the workflow.

The post function worked but I did not see where I could make it a listener. Also this only creates copies over during a single transition in the workflow. If I wanted it anytime I entered I would need the listener function.

You can't make a post-function a listener. You would need to write your own listener or use a plugin that provided the functionality directly e.g. scriptrunner could help you write the listener. 

See https://developer.atlassian.com/jiradev/jira-platform/guides/other/tutorial-writing-jira-event-listeners-with-the-atlassian-event-library

Thanks for the information Chris. We are using JIRA cloud so I am not sure how easy that would be for me. I will see how the post-function works for now.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Tuesday in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

154 views 1 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you