start-up error for Jira

SEVERE: Unable to create directory for deployment: /opt/atlassian/jira/conf/Catalina/localhost

Thought it might have to do with no DB being established yet, but I see the comments in the server.xml file that DB is set up the first time you log in to jira.

Installed jira 6.1 on CentOS server. The installer didn't indicate any errors. No errors indicated when I run "service jira start" but I just cannot connect to the instance via browser. I've tried both the express setup and the custom setup.

Looks like a permissions issue, but I installed as root, changed owner to jira, set the appropriate execute permissions...

12 answers

1 accepted

Hi Brian

It looks you haven't give permissions to the jira user that is starting JIRA to the JIRA folders. This documentation might help: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Generates+a+FileNotFoundException+due+to+Permission+denied

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

There's a known bug in the 6.1 Linux installer causing the "SEVERE: Unable to create directory for deployment: /opt/atlassian/jira/conf/Catalina/localhost" message in catalina.out.

If you've run the installer as "root", /opt/atlassian/jira/conf is owned by root:root with 755 permissions.

Solution:

1. Run this command as root: chown -R jira:root /opt/atlassian/jira/conf/
  2. Restart JIRA

This allows the "jira" user to populate the Catalina tree. No more SEVERE errors are logged.

Atlassian acknowledged this is a problem with 6.1 installer which should be fixed in 6.2 (which I have not yet tested).

We are using Jira 6.2.7 and ran into the same exact issue. Thanks for the solution.

I just installed a fresh new JIRA 7.1.1 on Linux and ran (again) into the same exact problem.

Also happens with 7.1.9 on Linux

The error message is coming from the catalina.out file.

The error message is coming from the catalina.out file.

It was an internal firewall issue. SMH

I had to change iptables, and set my.conf to localhost.

It was an internal firewall issue. SMH

I had to change iptables, and set my.conf to localhost.

that was it

Hey Brian - curious what you mean by "set my.conf to localhost"

I'm guessing you meant my.cnf? Even then, what config variable do you set to localhost within my.cnf? The bind-address? (bind-address = 127.0.0.1 is what I currently have there)

I'm having the same issue you describe.

Hi Brian, Michael...

Any more info on this issue I am having the same trouble

Sorry Ian, I'm still stuck with this problem too. Any time I need to reboot, I have to manually clear out the /opt/atlassian/jira/work/ directory, and then manually re-create the Catalina/localhost folder. PITB

I'm on JIRA 6.2.7 and ran into the same exact issue.  Need to do what 'S Stack' specified and that fixed it.

Same problem still with JIRA 6.3.9

Hi,

JIRA logs started but nginx logs not started?  Also unable access the JIRA in browser getting blank screen...

Does anyone have idea to resolve this issue?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

433 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you