sprint created in wrong project

Tzippy Levine April 8, 2019

I have two different projects.

When I click create sprint it does not let me choose the project

Now I see sprints from both projects in the backlog

I started one sprint for one project and its not allowing me to start the other sprint for the other project

How do I move the sprint to the correct projects

(jira cloud)

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2019

Hi Tzippy,

It is a very common misconception that sprints are bound to projects in the same way issues are bound to a project.  Sprints in Jira are not bound to a specific project or even a specific board.  Granted that you do create sprints from a board, but those sprints are designed to be able to appear on multiple boards.

The sprint will appear on the board it was created.   However it can also appear on other boards, only if the sprint contains at least one issue that will get returned by the JQL filter that this board is using.     I would recommend checking out the KB Sprints shared between multiple boards.  It helps to explain this and related scenarios as well as point out possible resolutions here.

When you get issues form other projects into a single sprint, you will need to have the manage sprint permission for ALL  the projects that have 1 or more issue in that sprint to be able to start/stop that sprint.   The other alternative would be to remove the issue from the sprint that exists in the project where you don't have the needed permission.   I believe that Jira will prompt you to tell you what project that issue exists in.   Typically when I see this happen the issue does not appear on the board in use, but does appear in a different board.  Usually this happens when an issue assigned to the sprint is moved to a new project without first clearing the sprint field value (aka removing the issue from the sprint).

I hope this helps.

Andy

Developer 1 August 20, 2019

@Andy Heinzer , I have a scenario.

A sprint was created in project A board with a generic name. Then the users wrongly assigned issues from project B to the sprint with generic name. Now, they started the sprint in project B and renamed the generic name to a project specific name.

Now, we have project A board with "Project B sprint" displayed empty and project B board seems to be all good with "its" Sprint (renamed originally from Project A).

I have read that sprints are not "bound" to projects, but how can then make the now "project B sprint" (originally created in project A board) disappear from Project A board. It's completely empty there and no issues are assigned from project A. Can I actually do that?

Thanks in advance!

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2019

Hi @Developer 1 

Ah, you raise a good point here.  While sprints are not bound to projects, the sprint itself is associated in a special way with the board where it was created on.  Even if you end up not adding any issues to that sprint from that origin board, the sprint will remain on that board there. There is not really a supported way for you to change that.   However you can see this association, if you're on Jira Server, and you have access to the SQL database.  You could use a SQL query such as

SELECT rv."ID" as BoardID, rv."NAME" as Boardname, sp.* 
FROM "AO_60DB71_SPRINT" sp
join "AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW" rv on sp."RAPID_VIEW_ID" = rv."ID"

As such, you might be able to make a change to that "AO_60DB71_SPRINT" table, "RAPID_VIEW_ID" field in the database to switch which board Jira Software sees as the origin board here.  I should note that this kind of change is not really supported by Atlassian, and you should create a backup of your database before you go trying to edit the database directly.  I'd also recommend that you stop Jira before making most direct changes as there tends to be some caching that the application is doing here that would be refreshed by a start up.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Chad Coles November 12, 2019

The ability to change the "special association" of a sprint to a board would be great.  We have product boards and team boards.  Each team works on multiple products.   Each sprint is for a specific team.  However, I have occasionally created a sprint while on a product board, and that sprint forever displays that product name with the sprint - even tho the sprint contains work for multiple products.

It'd be great if there was a way for me (on Jira Cloud) to correct this mistake.

Like Ricardo Souza likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events