sprint cannot be closed due to an incomplete subtask not belonged to our team's project board

Jade Bai May 24, 2023

Dear all,

I was trying to close the sprint today, and it reminds me of the incomplete subtask that belongs to another team project, and no links no relationship with any of our team's ticket.

we just share the same sprint name, but we are in completely two different projects,

I just found that that incomplete ticket are shown in that project's both Kanban and Scrum board, I guess that's the reason, because the Kanban ticket don't have the 'sprint' field. sprint cannot close with a ticket in Kanban still in progress.

or if it is just a Jira bug should be solved but the admin, no idea about it.

Thank you and best regards,

Jade

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hello @Jade Bai 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

If your sprints have the same name then it is possible you are actually using the same sprint.

Jira does not restrict what issues can be added to a sprint. If you create a sprint in your own board, an issue from another board can be added to your sprint by a person editing the Sprint field in that other issue and entering the name of your sprint.

Because of this it is important that you name your sprints in a distinctive manner to include identification of the board or team to whom the sprint belongs.

You can confirm if you are actually using the same sprint in two boards by changing the sprint's name in one board. If you then refresh the other board does the sprint name there update to match the changed name? If so, then you are using the same sprint in two boards.

If you are not actually using one sprint in two boards, then you need to remove the incomplete issue from your sprint. If the issue is considered incomplete because of an incomplete task, you need to remove the parent issue from your sprint. You can do that by directly editing the Sprint field of the issue, and removing your sprint from that field.

Jade Bai May 24, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill !

You are right! You save my day.

We are using the same sprint name, we just found that even the same sprint name could have different sprint number id. So that team choose the sprint we created without consciousness, even though they look like the same according to the name. I found this clue by checking the ticket maintenance history, sprint id shows there, in the brackets after the sprint name.

So we decide to rename the sprint name with some unique team abrev.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Jade

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 24, 2023

Hi Jade - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I am not sure that I am completely following your scenario, but as a quick fix, I would mark the sub-task as Done and then try to Close the Sprint. Then you can clone the sub-task or create a new one on the other project. 

Suggest an answer