show all subtasks and stories under an epic

Tanyya Varshney April 17, 2023

hi all, 

I want to see all the subtasks and stories under an epic at one place. 

I can only view Stories in the backlog and when I click on the epic, it shows me stories and only some subtasks (which I bulk uploaded)

Somehow, the subtasks which I manually created do not show up under the epic link, only the stories show up.

I am not able to view all the subtasks and stories under the epic in one place and its becoming harder to assign tasks to people and manage the board. Can anyone help me out with this ?

Thanks

3 answers

1 vote
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2023

Hi @Tanyya Varshney 

I’m Maurício, a support engineer at Appfire and I’m here to help you.

Unfortunately, using JQL of Jira, you’ll not be able to do it dynamically.

In the app where my team works, JQL Search Extensions for Jira, you can use this query to find all Stories and Subtasks under Epics:

issue in childrenOfIssuesInQueryRecursive("type=Epic")

Please contact our support if you have any other questions about this query.

We’ll be happy to help you!

Best regards,

Maurício

Tanyya Varshney April 18, 2023

Hi mauricio, 

is there any JQL query which doesnt require me to install the Extension ?

maybe by using childIssuesOf() function ?

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 18, 2023

Hi @Tanyya Varshney 

Welcome to the community !!

If you are on Jira Premium, you can use Advanced Roadmaps to view your hierarchies.

Thanks

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 18, 2023

Hi @Tanyya Varshney

I understand you want to see the entire issue hierarchy - stories, subtasks, and subtasks of stories - below an epic? This is indeed a bit trickier than one would think. A few directions forward:

• If you have Jira Premium, you can use Advanced Roadmaps to see entire issue hierarchies at one glance.
  • If you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, there'll be a number of apps that can help with this. First, there's a number of apps that extend JQL with additional functions. I don't know any syntax off the top of my head, but I'm confident that all the popular apps will be able to do this. The disadvantage here is that you still get a "flat" list of issues, not a hierarchy.
  • Alternatively, you could consider one of the more hierarchy-focused apps in the Marketplace. These apps that the advantage that you can view the issues in their actual hierarchy, in some kind of tree structure. I myself happen to work on such an app, in which this would be trivial to do. I'll provide more information below. 
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
April 18, 2023

Just to expand on the last point, this is how this would look in the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira:

epic-hierarchy.gif

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

As said above, there may be other apps that can help with this too. You may already know that you can trial any app for free for 1 month, and depending on the size of your size, it may be free forever. So if an app is an option for your, perhaps try a few and see which works best for you.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

Suggest an answer