set DEfault value for customfield via script/program

I have some 300 fields & need to set default values for all.

Please sugggest a way, I checked for Jelly & rest api but to no avail.

I cant afford time to do it manually though

2 answers

Do u have sound knowledge on jira plugins?

In plugins too, I didnt find any api to set default value. do you?

Yes... you can use customfieldmanager to get customfield object n hardcode the default value in it..

There is no api to set default, i checked. If you have then please let me know.

0 votes

Unless you've got a good grounding in the Jira API and the script runner plugin installed, you're probably going to find that doing this by hand is going to be quicker than learning everything you need.

The script runner would at least allow you to convert 300 lines of "name of customfield" to 300 lines of "amend relevant field configurations"

Another dirty option might be direct SQL, but you'll have to work out the exact lines you need to insert to get the defaults into the right contexts, test them all in test, and remember to stop Jira and take a full backup before running the SQL.

As an aside - 300 customfields is almost certainly too many and you should be thinking about how to simplify, or split your Jira up.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,755 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot