select multiple issues

Jason Jason February 5, 2013

I've had some client feed back. I want to select around 20 issues that have no unifing factor in Jira and bulk change them to have a different fix version.

But ther is no shift-click select. There are no check boxes. the only way to choose is "all" or "items on this page" That is complete nonsense. How am I supposed to manage hundreds of tickets when I can't just click to select the ones I need and change them?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2013

You've not tested this very far.

When you select "bulk edit" on a filter, it lists all the issues in the filter with check boxes to refine the list.

This happens a step AFTER you have said "all" or "all on this page". The all/all-on-page is just a quick way to get started.

Jason Jason February 5, 2013

#facepalm# Didn't even occur to me. I was assuming it would behave like the Plan Board does where you select a number of items and move them all at once. Thanks for the heads up.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2013

:-) The boxes were immensely small in the version I first used as well, and I still don't think they're blindingly obvious in the latest version.

Yggy King November 13, 2014

Thanks for that -- the Tools menu is buried enough as-is, and then really makes it look like you need to come up with a filter that selects all the issues you want. Works nicely once you know though. ;)

Kyle Pennell May 21, 2015

I agree that it's not very intuitive to have to do a bulk operation every time you want to select more than 1 issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2015

So where does it move from "not bulk" to "bulk"? How would you implement "select x issues" differently from bulk edit? As you need to do all the same work anyway?

Kyle Pennell May 22, 2015

In many other pieces of software, you can select a list of things without having to go through a 4-5 step process to make changes on them. It's frustrating because most other pieces of software allow users to select lists that way. Oh well!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2015

Jira lets you do that. Try clicking bulk-edit from the list, you'll be offered the option to select some of them.

Anurag Khanna August 15, 2019

Jira has such a poorly designed interface. They should have a team of UX professionals to re-design it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2019

In the 5 years since this question was asked, Atlassian have done that.  See Jira Cloud.

Anurag Khanna August 16, 2019

done what? I am using Jira Cloud only.
The discoverability and usability is still as poor.

Akhil Krishnan September 17, 2019

I have a very peculiar issue here during the bulk update. The checkbox is not available for the comment box during bulk update on version 7.13.0

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2019

@Anurag Khanna- the Cloud UX was designed to replace the older server interface by a dedicated UX team.  (Personally, I think they failed, but that does make the term "UX professional" exactly the opposite of what I would now be looking for)

@Akhil Krishnan- I would guess that you do not have "comment" permission on one or more of the issues you are updating.

scott coleman December 5, 2019

I'm using Jira Cloud - I still can't figure out how to select only some issues in a view. When I "select" an issue it opens that issue. I need to stay in the list view to select all of the issues I need.

Like David Thabet likes this
David Thabet December 11, 2019

Having the same problem.

swift February 19, 2020

'Bulk Edit' is not usable.  Once I click on the 'Bulk Edit' link, the issues get put into willy-nilly order instead of the order I had selected, so I am left with hunting down the issues I wanted one by one anyway.  Jira could use the tagline "Making simple task management harder every day."

webks GmbH August 6, 2020

I completely agree. Jira is missing checkboxes for bulk edit in nearly all areas. This is a very very important point. Is there any feature request about that?

It should be added everywhere and would fix a lot of usability problems, especially for projects and issues!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2020

I can't see what problems would be fixed by cluttering up a display with checkboxes all over the place.

There are a couple of open requests for improving how the bulk-edit works, but nothing for throwing it around everywhere. 

The improvements I personally like the look of are on the second screen.  As now, you run a filter that is quite sweeping, click the bulk-edit option and it gives you the list with include/exclude boxes.  Then the improvements would be the ability to do something like quick-filters (show a sub-set to concentrate on ticking/unticking) and be able to sort the list dyynaimically (i.e. what ever gets selected stays selected whatever I do with sort or sub-filters)

webks GmbH August 7, 2020

Well perhaps you had bad experiences with checkboxes, but I think you can agree that nearly every successful software product which works with lists (let it be thunderbird / outlook / windows , ...) allows to multi-select items and execute a task on them.

It doesn't have to be checkboxes, but selecting several tasks (and also all) by symbol, CTRL, ... is a quite good and old idea to speed things up ;)

Suggest an answer