security vulnerability

Hüseyin Çam March 21, 2013

Hii,

we have using 5.2.8 version of jira. we have a problem, if we want to create a issue that description field has below content, we can not create. becouse our security tool blocked the creating request hat is sql injection or http attack problem for the security tool. if we want to add comment to same content in any issue, we have not any problem.

when other applications in our company have same problem, the applicaiton`s owner can solve seting parameter(s) or developing.

can we solve the problem ?

having content of the problem;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE svc_init SYSTEM "MLP_SVC_INIT_320.DTD">
<svc_init ver="3.2.0">
<hdr ver="3.2.0">
<client>
<id>0</id>
<requestmode type="PASSIVE"/>
</client>
<subclient last_client="YES">
<id>3</id>
<pwd>subclient_secret</pwd>
<serviceid>4</serviceid>
</subclient>
</hdr>
<slir ver="3.2.0" res_type="SYNC">
<msids>
<msid type="MSISDN" enc="ASC">xxxxxxx</msid>
</msids>
<eqop>
<resp_timer>10</resp_timer>
<hor_acc>3000</hor_acc>
</eqop>
<loc_type type="LAST"/>
</slir>
</svc_init>

14 answers

2 votes
VitalyA March 23, 2013

WAF's are notoriously complex technology and do misfire sometimes. They require constant tuning and updating. Please post more details when you get them, until then this does not look like a JIRA issue.

P.S. Perhaps it is not wise to post your customer's phone number (MSISDN) on a public forum. Your XML snippet also includes a password, unless it is the redacted version.

0 votes
Hüseyin Çam April 1, 2013

our WAf admin have solved the issue by your assistance. thank you for all.

best regards

huseyin

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2013

Ok, then your WAF has a rule that is wrong.

In both cases, it's saying "cross-site script check" failed. You'll need to get the WAF administrators to explain that rule and then get them to fix it so that it does not get triggered by Jira. The reason I say that is that there are no cross-site attack vectors in either of those posts, so the "default webapp policy" in your WAF is throwing false positives. At a guess, I'd say it's spotting the ampersand-gt, which is perfectly valid for entering data

0 votes
Hüseyin Çam March 25, 2013

Hi All,

i have finished working with WAF admin.

working results; WAF is blocking the content or requesting that is like cross-site script attack, you can see below WAF logs

0 votes
Hüseyin Çam March 22, 2013

a few days ago WAF admins said that, only jira some request`s content (like sql injection or http script attack) were blocked by WAF, deafult setting is same all web applications, setting down, low security but it is going on blocking.

i will ask, and get some logs, learn all details on first working days, sharing wtih you turn back

regards

huseyin

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2013

Good. I can't see any way of fixing this without them telling you what your WAF is blocking and why it thinks it should block it. Once you know that, then you should be able to tell them what they've got wrong...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 22, 2013

I have to agree with Radu here - it is irrelevant what your WAF administrators are telling you.

They need to EXPLAIN what content is "wrong" and why.

Then you need to explain to them why you are posting it and why it is safe.

Then you need to get them to change the settings on the WAF to accept it as valid.

I cannot emphasise this any more: the problem is entirely with your WAF.

Ok, there is a chance that your WAF is picking up some bug in Jira that Atlassian and all the other users have missed (or haven't notified us about yet). But you need your WAF to explain what they think the problem is.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2013

Sorry to interrupt, but those guys before me just answered you that the problem is in your WAF, not JIRA. If your WAF is stupid and overreacts (think about a boss that doesn't let you explain the problem, but cries out immediately) it is the WAF problem, period.

"why does jira have this problem?" Well it doesn't

"applicaiton request content masked" - well, that may be custom stuff, how the h**l should we know ?

0 votes

it is mean that; if our another web applications post request with specifice characters(like main content),

the requests can pass on WAF. becouse the applicaiton request content masked and the waf don not hold as sql injectin or http script attack.

WAF admins say that our some jira request content critical character for security(sql injection or http script attack). why does jira have this problem ?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2013

I'm sorry, I don't understand that. I understand that you're telling us that the WAF is set at low level security. I do not understand the "post open source content on the request" part.

However, I really do not think Jira, or even what you are posting is a problem.

The situation appears to be that your WAF is blocking access to parts of Jira. Jira works fine when not accessed through the WAF. Therefore, the WAF is a problem and needs to be fixed.

0 votes

now, our WAF configration parameter of security is low level. on the way, we get close the waf security :( , do you think why post open source content on the request ?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2013

That is still your security software interfering with the requests.

If Jira is working internally, then that is firm proof that the security software needs configuring to allow external access properly. It's nothing to do with Jira and Jira can't be expected to do anything to fix this - it's the WAF that needs configuring/fixing.

0 votes

we have no problem in internal, becouse people do not reach to jira on not WAF(Web Application Firewall).if people want to reach to jira on internet(have WAF on network), can not reach some request.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2013

You should get the people that mange the security thing to whitelist jira if it's internal.

Suggest an answer