search in text field (view mode) with wildcards?

Sandra Meessen May 15, 2018

Hello,

It is possible to change the "Epic name" field in the view mode of the issue. Is it possible to search in the existing values of Epic names using wildcards? So, not in filters, but in de view mode of the issue on the editable field, like in the screenprint: 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2018

I'm not certain I understand what you mean by "view mode".  But I think you are referring to when you are looking at a specific Jira issue, and in turn editing a field, such as epic name.   While many fields in Jira can display a means of autocomplete to the text you type there, there is not a means to use wildcards in this form.  Because the values you type here need to be actual valid values of that specific field.   This applies to not just that epic name field, but almost all fields in Jira (labels being the notable exception because any character is valid to a label when you type it).

That autocomplete popup that appears is not a true search field, but rather a means to try to help you select the appropriate value given the initial characters you have entered into the field.

Sandra Meessen May 16, 2018

Hello Andrew, Thank you for your response. By "view mode" I mean the mode in the screenprint. When I start typing in the valuefiel of Epic Name there seems not to be an autocomplete. Also when I choose the "edit" option and than try to change the Epic Name there is no autocomplete function. That's why my users ask if wildcards can be used. For example: when I know I need the Epic Name with "P90B" at then end I can type something like "*P90B" or "*P90B*", then I got all Epics with P90B at the end or P90B somewhere in the name.  QSD view mode Epic Name.JPG

Suggest an answer